markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Manual Wood Splitters

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:56 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 pm
are you considering an impact, screw, or hydraulic splitter :?:
I'm looking at, what looks like, a hydraulic splitter. Sits flat, looks like a bottle jack on on one end, and a wedge at the other end.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 pm

10-4 .... that's the type we prefer be they powered by gasoline, electricity, or by hand .... it pays to get the heaviest duty, most powerful one you can find
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:40 am

Own an 8 lb maul and wedges which have had for 50 years, Went to a 35 ton towable splitter 16 years ago and never looked back. If you burn a lot of wood, say 3-5 cords per year, it is the only way to go. Almost like the difference between a shovel and a snowblower.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am

I know you stated manual splitter probably using a hydraulic jack to move the splitting head but man, even that sounds like a workout. I use a 22 ton Oregon brand gas powered hydraulic splitter and man it’s so nice. I figure I get enough of a workout loading, piling and then stacking the wood not to mention all the work involved getting it ready to split. Since I only split soft pine the 22 ton works fine for me. I believe that it cost around $1800.00 and that was five years ago.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks for the input guys. There are reasons why I'm looking at the type Splitter I am.
I don't need it here at home, because we don't burn wood here. I have no place to keep a large towable unit up at the cabin. Not gonna spend that much money, only to let it sit out in the rain, or snow all winter. We are only there about 6 months or less per year. Even up there, burning wood in the Franklin stove is not every day. It is only supplimental heat. We have electric wall heaters.
We don't go through a lot of wood. ( Not to mention it's not cold enough for fires except early Spring and as Fall approaches.)
I DO have a maul and wedges but my Cervical and Spinal Stenosis does not allow me to do that any more.
A small unit could be moved around with a hand truck or my 4-wheeler trailer and stowed under the cabin.
Was just wanting some opinions/reviews that I can trust, from anyone here who may have one, or has used one instead of only relying on the reviews online.
20200811_194952.jpg
20200811_194952.jpg (253.88 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:22 pm

0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Nice cabin, post more photos of it. Kind of reminds me of my uncle's cabin because of the slope. Not nearly as big and pretty basic. Big pot belly stove for heat, wood burning stove for cooking, running water in the kitchen but no bathroom, about a 200 ft walk to the outhouse. The enclosed sleeping porch which was supported over the slope like your deck was wall to wall beds, I think there were 5 or 6.

Do you get much snow there? My uncle had to to put poles inside to support the roof every fall as 6-10 feet of snow is not uncommon there. Went up there one winter to see a friend who was staying there and he said it took him half a day to shovel a spot to park and a path to the door.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:24 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:22 pm
how about something like this ===> https://www.amazon.com/Southland-Outdoo ... 627&sr=8-4
I saw that one jim, and yes it is a consideration. It's surprising though that the completely manual one is rated at 10 tons of pressure. More than the electric one. The electric has a lot larger wheels though, which is a plus!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:41 pm

one of our sons has an electric and it does well on straight grain wood ....
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:53 pm
Nice cabin, post more photos of it. Kind of reminds me of my uncle's cabin because of the slope. Not nearly as big and pretty basic. Big pot belly stove for heat, wood burning stove for cooking, running water in the kitchen but no bathroom, about a 200 ft walk to the outhouse. The enclosed sleeping porch which was supported over the slope like your deck was wall to wall beds, I think there were 5 or 6.

Do you get much snow there? My uncle had to to put poles inside to support the roof every fall as 6-10 feet of snow is not uncommon there. Went up there one winter to see a friend who was staying there and he said it took him half a day to shovel a spot to park and a path to the door.
Thank you Dave! I will post more pics.
We have a Franklin stove in the living room which is used for heat and/or plain ambiance. On the screened porch on the left is a round, ( Malm ) brand wood burning fireplace. Also a hot tub for my aching body.
The area does get a LOT of snow. Just one more reason we are not there in the winter.

It is a two bedroom and two full baths. Also a completely functional kitchen, but no dishwasher, ;) that would be one of us. :D
The entire cabin is elevated without underpinning which is why it's not weathered in for winter. That is where I park the 4-wheelers during stormy weather. I have a trail up through the trees off the right side of the house so I can just ride them up and under.
I do love it up there and could go on. Don't want to bore anyone though....sorry.

I will follow with some pics. Just have to pick a few. Some are on this tablet, and some are on my phone.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry