Manual Wood Splitters

Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Manual Wood Splitters

Post by 220 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 pm
Mark
A manual wood splitter is you a sledge and a splitting maul. You need the exercise anyway split that would like they did 100 years ago.
:lol: yep that my take on a manual splitter

I cut and sell a bit of firewood and keep thinking about a hydraulic splitter but just cant see how most of them would be any less work than doing it by hand. A lot of the trees I am cutting are often 3 or 4 foot diameter, trying to man handle them into a splitter would be more effort than splitting with a maul or axe.

0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm

Make your own wood splitter. :o The comments on the second machine are better than the video. ie "nothing screams safety like a rapidly spinning axe on a giant wheel next to all sorts of loose rope" and "The second machine was a present from his wife, right after he got a large life insurance policy."

Some of them are actually pretty ingenious but some are downright scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LdChUbCUcQ
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm
some are downright scary.

scary indeed :?
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:35 pm

I don't split wood for a living. I have about 5 stacks of logs to split. The largest would be approximately 12" diameter. I split on an AS NEEDED basis.
Given my limitations due to health reasons, I cannot raise an ax or sledge anymore. Splitting the old fashioned way is not in the cards for me. Glad your body is still very powerfull 220, and others, to be able to do the task easier than a machine.
I am in no hurry to get the job done either. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear that, probably worth spending a few hours looking at videos of different styles and types in action to see what is going to suit your needs and capabilities. No point outlaying hard earned cash on something to fit the budget if it is pretty much useless for what you need.
As for splitting by hand I think technique and reading the wood, identifying where it will split easily where it wont and being able to place your blows in the spot you want are far more and effective than brute strength.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 pm

Thank you. I understand about identifying and technique.
My problem in a nut shell, amongst others is Stenosis, ( bone spurs against my spinal cord and in my neck ). Not to mention a ruptured L-5 disc in my back. I can function. Just have to be very careful.
Probably should have mentioned that sooner, but didn't want to whine. I know there are others here with their own limitations as well.
Had I been smarter in my youth, I might not have had issues this bad.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:39 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:35 pm
I don't split wood for a living. I have about 5 stacks of logs to split. The largest would be approximately 12" diameter.
I thought you were wanting to split the ones in the last photo, some of those look huge. :o
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 am

Think we would all be in better shape had we taken a bit more care in our youth. I might be a young un but still the wrong side of 50 depending on where you are standing.
The reason I suggested spending a few hours or a day looking at videos on splitters in action is because no one knows better than you what you can achieve and what will make it easier.
A few things I am thinking would be
are you comfortable working bent over at ground level or a foot above it
can you comfortably lift what needs splitting to waist height and would working at that level be easier
would a vertical splitter where you could roll them into place and just stand them leaving both hands free to operate the machine be easiest.

While I can handle splitting wood by hand for half a day spending the same amount of time bent over lifting logs into and out of a splitter at ground level would probably see me struggling to walk for a week.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:58 am

Those videos are why OSHA is always busy. Scary stuff!
0 x