Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Security upgrade suggestions

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Security upgrade suggestions

Post by Ernie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Last 2 months people have been breaking into garages and cars stealing most anything including cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers, so name it. They seem to be heading in my direction as 2 cars were stolen about 1/2 mile away Tuesday. I have 3 motion lights but tonight I added 3 more solar motion lights and 2 motion alarms. I have been checking camera systems for a while but I want to install it myself and I want to be sure it is user friendly enough for me to make everything work. Any suggestions on the video systems available? I have a trail camera but I am afraid if I put it out someone will steal it.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Security upgrade suggestions

Post by Cofisher » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Look at the Simplisafe system. All wireless including camera. Good luck.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:40 am

I’ve been thinking of adding some cameras too. I was with someone yesterday and he got an alert on his phone that someone rang his doorbell. Then he replayed a video of them. It was the USPS dropping off a package.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 am

Ive looked and looked at this for myself. But I dont want to pay a monthly fee of any kind to see my front door or back porch
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:13 am

Installing a monitored alarm system is less expensive than hiring a armed warm body to stand guard, and that's about your only other realistic option. My system costs me about $225/year. In addition to that, I have a driveway alarm (unmonitored) that only detects metallic from Dakota Alert. You may find something on their site that would suit your situation.

https://dakotaalert.com/
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 pm

I pay a relatively small monthly fee for a monitored alarm system, but the annual discount on my insurance offsets it even more. I have glass breaks, motion, window and door, and the outbuildings are covered. After thirty years in LE, I know it's not paranoia, they are out to get yah. :? :roll:

We also added cameras that are night vision capable, and record, the cover outside the house. Three game cams cover the pasture. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Cameras, etc seem to be good, but I also like the old fashion way of security (beside guns, lol). I like Lock and Chains. For Cars and Trucks, you can lock your steering wheel to the brake pedal. You can buy something to work, but I would prefer my own Lock and Chain. Another good thing to use is Kill Switches. For Motorcycles, besides the front end lock, wrap a heavy Chain with a strong Lock around the rear wheel and attach it to something heavy. You could also cement a large U-Bolt into your concrete floor. For Trailers, get a strong Hitch Lock as well as another heavy Lock and Chain. Then there are Signs. Although I understand that they are not appropriate in some neighborhoods. Out in the county here, once you pull into my long driveway and about 2 car lengths down, you would see a nice No Trespassing sign, with the descriptions of the penalties under it.

There are also other tricks, like locking your garage door from the inside with an additional lock on one of the rails. Double secure any windows, Deadbolt Locks on all the doors, etc, just to name a few.

The main thing to deter a thief is to throw him a curve ball. They like routine and don't like surprises.
2 x
NRA Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:46 am

Good advice CGF,

We live out in a rural area, and trailers are stolen a lot. Ours is new since we just moved here, and we did just what you said. I have the ball lock in the coupler, and a heavy coated cable locking the trailer between two huge oaks. It's also in the pasture with two very mean leather wrapped 1,000 pound bags of attitude, with horns. All three gates are locked, because of the attitudes.

Miss Tina carries a pink feed bucket, they throw her an attitude, they learned early on a whack to the forehead with the feed bucket adjusts it. :D

If they come charging up these days, all she has to do is hold it up. 8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:36 am

we put in a monitored "smart system" a couple of years ago .... one of the major attractions for us is it allows my wife to control the heat/AC while we are traveling .... no more having to leave the heat/AC on while we are away .... she can also speak with anyone who comes to the front door and do so without them knowing we aren't there ....lastly, she can turn the alarm system on or off, lock and unlock the doors while we are thousands of miles from home .... after the initial cost of the equipment, the monitoring fee is small and as has been noted, most of it is covered in a drop in cost of our insurance
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 pm

I have found the best deterrent is to make the location unappealing. Motion lights, locks, visibility, and I guess cameras. This will send them to easier targets unless you are showing something appealing that can be moved for money quickly. If someone wants to break in bad enough they will find a way. We had one business that a thief took an axe and came though the roof and another that pulled a rear door out with a truck. So I don't advertise my possessions and try to stay low key. As opposed to the year I had a jewelry store in my shop and had a sign on stating "Diamonds & Gold". That ended rather quickly when local businesses were being robbed around Christmas and I no longer felt comfortable in my home. So I have lights, good visibility to doors and windows, motion alarms and now desire personal security cameras for when I am not able to be home.
Thanks for your responses.
0 x