Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Magnum Journey

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Magnum Journey

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Finally hit the range today. Took the time setting up with spotter scope and rest. Shot PMC Bronze 180gr, Hornady Leverevolution 225gr, and Hornady XTP 240gr.

First time with the new mount and Leupold FX-ii scout scope. Zeroed it in on the first target sheet with the 225gr Leverrevolution. It looked like a shotgun spread before I was eventually done getting it right.

The scout scope is fixed power with intermediate/longer eye relief. I found it very comfortable and easy to quickly put on target.

I only had to adjust a little more with a few shots to zero on a new 2nd target sheet at 100yrds for the Hornady 240gr XTP, using a front rifle rest, with the results below:

IMG_20200922_124835784~3.jpg

A little sloppy, but I'm satisfied enough considering it was the first outing with the current scope and set up. I imagine I'll be able to tighten it up with some more practice.

The PMC Bronze 180gr seemed a much hotter load. On a 3rd new target sheet, I was pretty straight on the noon-six axis but every shot was 6 or so inches above my aim point. I had already zeroed in for the Hornady 240gr so I didn't make any adjustments. I only had one box of the PMC so I just had some fun with it.

Next time out I'll fine tune and work to improve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Goodbye Middle Class on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

100 yards, scope or no scope, that's some good shooting! The 240's are going to shoot even better if you stay with those.
Are you going to handload for it? Nonetheless, good shooting.
1 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks RifleTom.

I don't plan on loading my own at this time but I save my brass just in case I ever change my mind. Took me longer to zero in than I thought but I'm satisfied with the Hornady 240 xtp. I'm not a die-hard brand guy but once I find something that works I tend to stick with it out of habit and consistency. The reason I share in this thread is just to give it others an honest appraisal of what I've used.

Here's a drone flyover from the Gun Range website of their 100yrd range that I used:

https://youtu.be/_tk_ePG0cVw

I'll take some range photos tomorrow and talk about the spotting scope I picked up at Bass Pro Shop the other day which I also used for the first time this week.

Thanks John D.,

Sorry to reply so late. I'll likely just keep the scope on at this time. After the first shakedown at the range it seemed to remain secure and true. I plan to head out again tomorrow morning and see if it continues to hold up and do some additional fine tuning. I did send a product recommendation to Henry with a Link to this thread. I think there's a market for this type of Henry accessory rail.

Had to laugh today. I was rubbing the front of my shoulder and wondered to myself "why am I sore here?" Then I realized..... oh yeah Dummy, maybe it was the 100 rounds of .44 Magnum you popped off yesterday. 😔
3 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:26 pm

To keep everything secure I picked up a:

Stack-On PWS-1855-E in wall safe.

IMG_20201010_220123150~3.jpg

IMG_20201010_220238641~2.jpg

Perfect size for one or two long guns. Simple enough to install, adjust the shelf and keep them safe!

I have a bad habit of holding on to useful stuff so I had several chunks of flexible but firm spongy multi-layer packing foam. I shaved them and carved as necessary to secure items inside. Adhered with two sided tape to keep everything in place and avoid scratches.

IMG_20201010_220334234~3.jpg

Also bought a small digital hygrometer to keep track of current/high/low Humidity and temperature. I'm currently testing a couple of different passive dehumidifier options.

I'm pretty happy with it...

IMG_20201010_220416152~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Stump
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Stump » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 pm

Very nice and creative, it looks good. I've never seen a large in the wall safe like that.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 pm

Stump wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 pm
Very nice and creative, it looks good. I've never seen a large in the wall safe like that.
nor have I
1 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 pm

It's inconspicuous enough to put behind the swing of a closet door, or mirror, piece of furniture etc. Not nearly as nice as a full featured gun safe but a sturdy steel build. Electronic lock with silent or active button beep. Key entry in case of dead battery or reset needed.

Take your time, measure twice and cut once before slicing into the drywall. You will have to bridge the bottom between studs with a 2x4 at the height you want to support the weight. I found it fit easily between standard studs with a small gap. So I shimmed one side, anchored firm to the stud on the other, then went back to anchor the shimmed side. Keep some of the insulation. It seems to be susceptible to temperature swing depending on wall location.

Sticks out about an inch from the wall and has about an inch of "frame" lip cover to hide the cut in drywall. Looks clean and attractive unconcealed by itself.

However, if you plan to conceal it, like I decided to, you'll have to consider how you want to frame around it because it is not completely flush.

Decent way to safely store a couple long guns nearby instead of wondering how to get all the way to the big safe when needed.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Is that a Cutts Compensater that I see on your shotgun? I haven't seen one of those in years. I always hated to shoot trap next to a shooter using one of those.
1 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Travlin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 pm
Is that a Cutts Compensater that I see on your shotgun? I haven't seen one of those in years. I always hated to shoot trap next to a shooter using one of those.
Noise/loud? Muzzle blast from the compensator? Or Accuracy?

I only just acquired it. Only had a chance to check it out, light clean and oil. I've been meaning to get to the trap range but haven't had time.

IMG_20201001_202638_01~2.jpg

1957 Sears/J.C. Higgins Model 20 - 12 gauge with a J.C. Higgins (brand marked) 'Cutts Style" Compensator and modified choke. Dad bought it when he was 17. Hardly ever fired it. Kept meticulous care of it.

Now 80 he's starting to get rid of things. It's in awesome condition. Have the original J.C Higgins Case as well. There are plenty of finer and more valuable shotguns out there but it's a beautiful working man's shooter.

IMG_20201001_202638_01.jpg
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 pm

The side blast on those is really "quite noticeable" There used to be a rifle club about 15 minutes from my home with a regulation A.T.A. trap range and a 100 yard rifle range. We shot trap there every Sunday morning and in the summer on Thursday evenings.
0 x