Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Accuracy problems

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Accuracy problems

Post by Boltgun21 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:11 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to this. Forgive if this has been covered and I haven't seen any solutions yet. I have waited 3 years for my big boy steel case colored carbine to arrive. Ordered before covid. Just got it a week ago. Been to the range twice, on my second scope because I thought that would be easy fix. It wasn't. New scope same issue. At 50 yds I get 8 inch groups.
Last outing I did manage to find one load with 240 xtps that held 3inch at 50. I was looking here and noticed others have had rare but similar issues, while others are getting outstanding groups of 1.5 inch at 100.
Slugged my barrel today. Close as I can measure I got .430.

I have tried lead and jacketed. Fast and slow. Lightest I tried was 200gr. Heaviest was a 270 cast. I don't generally complain because I never want to be that guy. I build long range bolt guns for my local gunshop and know my way around a barrel. I cannot figure this one out. I cannot see or feel or measure anything obviously wrong.
Got more stuff loaded to try but am I wasting my time?
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Accuracy problems

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:41 pm

What about a bore scope and look down the barrel.
There is a member here that had some issue with one in a 357.
Don't recall exactly, but there was a serious issue. Seems it had tooling marks and such.
Hopefully he will chime in.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:55 pm

Thank you for the reply. Sadly I don't have a bore scope. I did use a good light and check the bore and crown. I can't see anything noticeable. Very disappointing. I have a 357 brass frame that does sub 2inch at 100 all day. Was hoping for close with this one but I'd settle for a reasonable group. I know this isn't a bench rest gun.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:26 pm

Boltgun -

You seem to know your way around long guns and you have probably already checked these but:

Are you sure your scope mount isn't loose?

Did you happen to run your fingers down the exterior of the barrel to make sure there isn't a bulge?

It's frustrating but good luck.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:19 pm

How does it shoot with factory loads? If its the same then call Henry and tell them your issues. Its happened before poor accuracy especially with the 44 mag.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. suggestions
1 insure all gun screws are tight, even stock screws.
2, use torque driver on mount screws and use loctite on base screws only.
3, put a pencil mark on both sides o rings to see if the scope moves after shots.I sit the scope on a piece of rubber electrician tape, trimmed with a razor blade.
4 I assume this is a .44mag or 45-70 based on your bullet weights. I believe Henry barrels in .44 mag are designed to stabilize 240 grain bullets
5. How is trigger? My hoo9 in 30-30 had a gritty inconsistent trigger which gave me fits after mounting a scope last week still working through it but appears was a lockup issue. finally got it to group reasonably well after the trigger smoothed out.
6. Slug the barrel to determine bore size and see how dimension stacks up to projectiles you are using. It might be over bored before rifling was cut.
7. If you still can't correct, ship to Henry and ask for a re-barrel.
1 x

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:47 am

Thank you all for the responses.

I have checked and torqued every screw on mounts, stock, etc. I slugged the bore. I got .430. Tough with 12 grooves. Used micrometer and calipers.

I will check for bulges on outer side of barrel. This is the 16.5 in octagon. So I'll measure where I can. I know different barrels can be picky but I have never seen one quite like this. I have some factory ammo on the way. Stuff isn't cheap so I'm just trying to make sure there isn't something obvious.
As interesting as it is to try and figure out, it is equally frustrating. I'm just trying to have my bases covered when I talk to Henry.
0 x

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:50 am

A quick question to you with 44. I had asked Henry what spec should be on barrel regarding bore-groove dimensions.
.430 seems like it's OK but shouldn't it be closer to .429?
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:00 am

I have an older one from '07 that I have never slug the barrel on but it shoots better than 8" at 50 yds with open sights.
Here's a recent target that I was trying out a new mold and doing a load test.
20230430_130208.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:46 pm

That looks like a decent group. Was wondering about that Lee mold myself.
I'd be happy with that group.
I'm going to try and sneak to the range tomorrow. Try some more stuff. Don't have a lot of hope though.
0 x