Accuracy problems

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Accuracy problems

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm

Boltgun21 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:55 pm
Thank you for the reply. Sadly I don't have a bore scope. ..
This is decent inexpensive bore scope. I also bought a set of caliber specific mirrors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085X ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Gault
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Gault » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:14 pm

Question, is this offhand or from a bench?

I ask because I test for accuracy from a bench. If from a bench, I am not sure I would screw around with it. I would send it back because something is wrong.

For comparison, I shot a .52" 4 shot group @ 50 yards using Federal bulk ammo today on my first outing with a BBX 357.
2 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:56 am

I had a similar experience with a BBS .357 a while back. I think the thread is still listed in this forum as: "Accuracy Expectations with .357 Big Boy Steel". I too played musical sighting systems, and went through a number of different kinds of ammo, both factory and reloads, and eventually sent it back to Henry. I'm very happy with it now.
I hate to even suggest it, but if you've ran down the likely suspects, you may end up letting Henry deal with it. Thank goodness that they're as good with supporting their customers as they are.
2 x

Gault
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Gault » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 am

rickhem wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:56 am
I too played musical sighting systems, and went through a number of different kinds of ammo, both factory and reloads, and eventually sent it back to Henry. I'm very happy with it now.
Any idea what they fixed?
1 x

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by parson48 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:21 pm

I have a BBS 44 mag with similar accuracy issues. I've sent it in for repairs twice only to get it back with same lousy accuracy. As of today it has arrived back in Rice Lake and I am supposed to receive a replacement rifle.

Henry has a great warranty and customer service policy, but not only is returning it an annoyance, trying different ammo is not a cheap proposition nowadays.
2 x

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:37 pm

Sorry I'm just catching up.
Question was asked if this was from a bench or offhand. Yes from a bench. 3x9Burris scope. Retested today. Hornady bullets measure .430, and shoot ok. Others like Speer and Sierra. 429-.4295. Will not group. Tested 240 Sierra and 270 Speer again today. Shot a 6in plus group with 240 Sierra and the Speer 270 load put one bullet in a 10 target, could not see other 4 so larger than 10in group. This all at 50 yds.

My stock lead load uses a 270 cast swc. Shot 4 rounds found one on target. Didn't waste anymore. I am sending it back with the request for new barrel. I can't see anything obvious but there is for sure something wrong.
0 x

Boltgun21
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Boltgun21 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 pm

I will add quickly that based on my phone call with Henry, I do not expect better when it returns. Something tells me their spec is off on bore-groove dimensions. I was told .432 is saami spec so take that for what it's worth. This is the one time I send it. If it returns and shoot like crap still it will be gone. Paid too much to be this aggravated and ammo too expensive to throw at it trying to find something that works.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:19 pm

I dont blame you for being frustrated at all. Im not sure what you told them as you havent mentioned it Henry normally will not pay to much attention to complaints with reloads. They will usually only do something if its factory ammo you are having issues with. Not saying you havent told them that but you havent mentioned it either.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:08 pm

I too HAD a Henry 44 Mag carbine that would not shoot any cast bullet mid range Magnum loads at 30 yds. without a couple key holes.
Bore slugged at .4325 and had that old style slow 1-38 twist. Seems Henry has a problem with their 44 Magnum specs as most other 44 mag rifles are .429 like the Uberti 44 Mag I replaced it with.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:22 pm

Boltgun 21

I've got an X-Model in .44 that I bought a few weeks before our deer season and I planned to hunt with it but it would throw unexplained flyers. I've been loading .44 mags for a half a century with both jacketed and cast and thought there would be a handload in the cabinet that would work. I ended up using a BBS in .45 Colt for deer instead.

After season ended I started trying to find out the reason for the flyers. Optics were ruled out because the rifle did the flyer thing with both a two minute Ultradot and with a 2.5X Leupold. Picatinny base was tight and I use Warne 4 screw rings and everything was good there. All screws were snug EXCEPT the screw in the bottom of the receiver which apparently secures the rear of the magazine tube which was loose by a full turn and a half. It might be a wild guess but could that have caused flyers?

I slugged the barrel and it came out a generous .431". One of the jacketed bullets I tried was Nosler 240 gr. JHP's loaded over W296 that were marked as being .429" but actually mic at just short of .428". I don't think it would reasonable to expect a bullet that far undersize to rattle down a bore that big and produce accuracy. I dunno. I tried 240 XTP's which mic at an actual .429" and they were better but not great. 2" flyers instead of 4". I'm going to try some cast bullets sized to .432" but am currently doing rehab from a knee replacement.

Keep us posted on your journey ....AND just for the heck of it...check that screw!
0 x