Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45 colt big boy x update

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

45 colt big boy x update

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:28 pm

Sat down and did some chrono work.

Digital link send out, pushed an update on their app a week (10/17)or so back. I lost all of my data stored on my phone. Yes, I have an export, but an export isn't as available nor easy to sort as the ap was.

On top of that their new "improved" app sucks. None of the buttons work. My app, will not clear the shot string, and it says my shot string is full constantly.

Oh, it also doesn't store the shot lists in any conceivable order. The order you fired? nope, the same order you looked at 5 minutes ago? nope, close out the app, guess what, new order to the list.

Uninstalled and reinstalled.

So yeah, Digital link competition electronics and their chrono is about worthless unless you want to write everything down by hand.

This is making that new garmin chronograph look mighty tempting.

Anyway.. after grabbing a pen and paper, I have some good news.

Matt's bullets 280grain truncated cone gas checked with 7.2 or 7.4 grains of unique produced a inch and a half group at 50yds. I'm very happy with that, as I shoot with subs. The velocity was an average of 935 for 7.2 and 948 for 7.4

The next up was Hornaday 240grn mag jhp, 8.0 grains of unique produced 820ish fps and a 2.5 inch group.

Don't ask about the rest. I'm not impressed. I am beginning to think there is something seriously wrong with this barrel or rifle. The majority of loads are shotgun patterns, hand loads, or factory averaging anywhere from 6 to 14 inches. I checked all the screws on the henry before sighting it in today. Everything was tight. I've got three loads now that do not look like buckshot.

On top of that. My firing pin is acting weird, sometimes it sets the round off, and other times, it takes a time or two. Does anyone know if they make an extended firing pin for the Henry? or a stronger hammer spring?
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: 45 colt big boy x update

Post by Travlin » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 pm

Hello, Call H.R.A. and tell them what is happening and they will send you a shipping label.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:30 pm

I would send it back to Henry. I have had many problems with Henry barrels, but their customer service is fast and usually no questions asked except what is it doing. I have added washers behind the mainspring to improve lock time but the only problem I have had with ignition was when I made the mistake of not completely cleaning a new BBS action before firing.
2 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:13 am

Does anyone make aftermarker barrels for the henry?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 am

You're more patient than I would have been with such a lack of accuracy. I agree with the others. Get on the phone with Henry.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 am
You're more patient than I would have been with such a lack of accuracy. I agree with the others. Get on the phone with Henry.

This is what it is capable of. Cast performance 300grn FPGC 19grns 4227

Sub sonic 300grn FPGC (matts this time IIRC) 8.0Grns of unique

285grns TCGC over 7.4grns of unique

and a couple more from today.

Blue bullets 320grn over 7.6grns of unique for an average of 1003 fps.

So given those results. Why are 250 grain rounds simply not hitting worth a crap. Me? That's about the only thing I can come up with.

BTW, Blue bullets 300 and 320grn rounds were just about perfect.

On a side note, the app for the chrono is still broken. They removed the averaging portion of it, so for now you have to do all that figuring yourself.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:47 pm

This is the can after about 600 rounds of mixed lead, jacketed, plated and coated.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm

DsGrouse. I feel your pain on both counts. My CED M2 chrono must be able to read my thoughts because I was contemplating a chronograph homicide :twisted: a couple of range trips ago. On the most recent outing she was flawless without so much as one ERR. But I don't use all of the electronic storage features. I prefer to record everything on paper and the punch a couple holes in each one and store them in a ring binder type folder along with notes on the load and performance.

And...my BBS .45 Colt is very good (1" to1 1/2") @ 50 yards with a few loads. But with loads it doesn't like it really stinks!
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:54 am

5shot wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm
DsGrouse. I feel your pain on both counts. My CED M2 chrono must be able to read my thoughts because I was contemplating a chronograph homicide :twisted: a couple of range trips ago. On the most recent outing she was flawless without so much as one ERR. But I don't use all of the electronic storage features. I prefer to record everything on paper and the punch a couple holes in each one and store them in a ring binder type folder along with notes on the load and performance.

And...my BBS .45 Colt is very good (1" to1 1/2") @ 50 yards with a few loads. But with loads it doesn't like it really stinks!
I am jonesing for that new garmin. I know it is spendy, but the ease of use.
https://youtu.be/TXMilgPvrfY?si=CpeeKH9kH3ehIlpI
https://youtu.be/5C4IHfLV1mY?si=vDxW7zJypRrw_VTv
https://youtu.be/lwUfC5tpLSs?si=zuU8pshhX2YlpgvF

The can was dirty, I mean crazy dirty.

That first photo of a good group was my last group of the day. I'd noticed on the last string that the scope had started to wobble.
I brought the gun in to clean it and to tighten that base back down with more lock tight. If blue lock tight doesn't work again, I'll try vibratite.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:00 am

DsGrouse wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:13 am
Does anyone make aftermarker barrels for the henry?
I don't know, but always that a 24" octagon would be cool on the 44 BBB. :roll: ;)

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012