It arrived!

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: It arrived!

Post by 5shot » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:33 pm

Tubby wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:15 am
5shot: Since you mention it, once I take out the lever and bolt, I just reach in and pull out the extractor, is that right? Watched a youtube, looked like just the 3 simple steps. I plan on adding a fore end light to mine at some point as well , just gotta gather some more pennies
You won't need to pull out the extractor. It'll fall out as soon as you tip the rifle on it's right side. :lol: No problem though. When you put it back together just get the extractor pointed in the right direction, line it up in the groove and see that the peg falls into the hole in the left side of the receiver. Keep the rifle on it's left side when you reinsert the bolt.

I don't mean to sound like an authority here....after well over a half a century of being a rifle nut I had to ask the guys on this forum how to disassemble a lever! :oops: All my experience was with bolts and single shots. Everybody was nice and helpful but now that I realise how simple it is I just gotta wonder if there wasn't a snicker or two behind their keyboards. :lol: :D
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:30 am

^^^^^^^

Doubt there were many snickers, all of us have been in your position field stripping our first lever action that isn’t a Winchester. Most of us had Marlins before Henrys became available which are exactly the same for lever removal.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:45 am

Learn by doing and looking up info. on your particular gun....Youtube is great for disassembly info.! Lots of help here also.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:22 am

Yeah to the ease of removing the lever on the Henry's for cleaning. Just like Marlins; easy.
1 x

Tubby
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tubby » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:19 pm

So I walked up the hill and stuck a piece of scrap plywood against a tree. Stood about 60 paces/50 yards away and shot offhand without taking too much time. I *think* when I bench rest it, I'll have to adjust for windage to the right some, but the wind was blowing this morning and Lord knows I'm no sniper anyway. I'm actually real happy that it shot as well as it did; seems to shoot to point of aim. The way I was huffing from the walk and the sights were wiggling around, I can't complain about the rifle, for sure. I'm certain a better shooter would have gotten much better results.
I'm very impressed with the action now I've shot it. Trigger is great, lever is smooth. The only hangup I had was feeding into the side gate after about 6 rounds or so, I think the lead was building up a little and getting sticky. It's way easier tube loading anyway for me. In short, I'm pickled tink!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Tubby
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tubby » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Oh, and I had the plywood leaning a bit left of where the rifle is in the first pic.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:39 pm

Tubby wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:20 pm
Oh, and I had the plywood leaning a bit left of where the rifle is in the first pic.
:lol: We can tell... ;)
Glad you got to put a few rounds through it.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Tubby
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tubby » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:03 pm

Lol! Didn't want y'all to think I missed by that much
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:13 am

I’m pickled tink too. :lol: Looks like a great day in the woods.
0 x