Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gotta Say, Im Impressed

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Gotta Say, Im Impressed

Post by Bill.68 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 pm

I haven't been around for a while but I have been shooting my BB 44Mag quite alot, mainly due to the fact of getting another levergun, a Rossi, in 357.
Not sure if anyone recalls my sad saga with my BB but I was honestly ready to send it down the road. It just had issue after issue after issue, mechanically and accuracy. It was just horrible. I had tried factory as well as handloads. Every appropriate powder I had, many different bullets and just got nothing.
Finally, one sunny day I received in the mail 1000 Zero brand 240gr JSP bullets. I went through the usual routine of loading some test rounds with some h110, IMR4227 and A9. Whoa! What!? The gun actually will feed these bullets? Well then, lets see if it will group them. It does, and does it very well. While Im not happy with a rifle that only shoots well with one single style of bullet I guess its better than not shooting any well.
A9 turned out to be the winner of the 3 powders but h110 is almost as good. 19.5gr of A9 is pure magic. I shot this 30rd group yesterday,
It shoots this load the same way every time I shoot them, and at this point Ive shot over 500 of them. Its a pretty heavy load too. Not as heavy as another load, same bullet, I load which is 23.5gr of LilGun, that load actually hurts me but its even more accurate than the A9 load but there is no way Id shoot it for fun, because its not fun. The A9 load by the way is 1570fps and the 23.5gr LilGun load though is a smokin 1875fps
Both of these loads are very accurate at 100yds and even at 200yds I have higher odds of hitting the gong with regularity than not.
Its still a shame though that the BB seems relegated to this single bullet, it just wont feed much else and definitely doesnt shoot anything else this good, nowhere near this good.
For now though, I gotta say, I am truly impressed with this gun with this combination. I wonder how that JSP would work as a deer round.
2 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Gotta Say, Im Impressed

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Glad you finally stumbled onto something that gives good results.
Like you said better one bullet than none.
As to the jsp on deer, it such do fine.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012