Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

44 Magnum is in and dressed

Shenanigans
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: 44 Magnum is in and dressed

Post by Shenanigans » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:33 am

Almost ended up ordering a skinner barrel mounted sight, but then came across this post (http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p131130) thanks to @fortyshooter to make a ghost ring insert for the stock semi buckhorn sight out of a hacksaw blade and gave it a shot.

I set my insert lower than his plans call for so I had clearance with my optic mounted. It took maybe 10 minutes to make with a Dremel and came out great. I plan to sight in at 50 yards with it next time I go to the range so I've got solid backup sights. The sight picture is way better than the standard semi buckhorn notch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Eltell
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Eltell » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 pm

Great job!
1 x

GaCop
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GaCop » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 am

Scope looks sooooo much better on a steel receiver. I scoped my brass BB and it just didn't look right to me so I went with a Skinner and a taller front sight.
1 x
Vietnam Vet 6/66 to 12/67

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:31 am

GaCop wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 am
Scope looks sooooo much better on a steel receiver. I scoped my brass BB and it just didn't look right to me so I went with a Skinner and a taller front sight.
I hadn’t thought about that as my Henry’s are all steel but I agree with you. Not to disparage anyone who has a scoped brass receiver Henry.
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Good looking rifle there Shenanigans. I like that your scope base is so low, and the rings keep it low. I'm also not a fan of the "chin weld". and that lace-on pad only helps the process.
I see that you left the buckhorn sight on, how close is that to the scope tube?
0 x

Shenanigans
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Shenanigans » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:51 pm

rickhem wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:33 pm
Good looking rifle there Shenanigans. I like that your scope base is so low, and the rings keep it low. I'm also not a fan of the "chin weld". and that lace-on pad only helps the process.
I see that you left the buckhorn sight on, how close is that to the scope tube?
You can slide a credit card between. The picture makes it look like it's touching.
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:51 am

That's just about perfect!
I know from my own experience, that whenever I remove what seem to be "unnecessary" parts from a firearm, be they rear sight, front ramp, sling swivel stud, whatever, I always put them someplace safe for later retrieval and use. But when that someday comes, I always have a hard time finding the parts that I know I saved. For that reason, I have decided to leave things in-place unless they directly interfere with function.
And as you said, removing the scope still leaves you with a usable sighting system.
Good job!
1 x