Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Brass Cleaner?

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Big Boy Brass Cleaner?

Post by SWFan27 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:47 am

I normally use Flitz metal polish when cleaning, but my Henry 357 Mag Big Boy Classic is my first firearm with brass. I just purchased a can of the Big Boy brass polish online from Henry. Will Flitz also work well to polish the brass on my Henry? My normal cleaning supplies are Ballistol, Hoppes Gun Oil and Flitz metal polish. I figure Ballistol and the Hoppes Gun Oil should be fine to use on my Henry also?
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Brass Cleaner?

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:15 am

SWFan27 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:47 am
I normally use Flitz metal polish when cleaning, but my Henry 357 Mag Big Boy Classic is my first firearm with brass. I just purchased a can of the Big Boy brass polish online from Henry. Will Flitz also work well to polish the brass on my Henry? My normal cleaning supplies are Ballistol, Hoppes Gun Oil and Flitz metal polish. I figure Ballistol and the Hoppes Gun Oil should be fine to use on my Henry also?
Which version of Flitz?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SWFan27 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:00 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:15 am
SWFan27 wrote:
Which version of Flitz?
The Flitz stuff I normally get is a paste. That stuff with a soft toothbrush and a cleaning cloth works incredibly well on stainless revolvers. Especially when trying to get marks off the cylinders and certain other areas which could take forever with most cleaners.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:26 pm

SWFan27 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:00 am
Mags wrote:
SWFan27 wrote:
Which version of Flitz?
The Flitz stuff I normally get is a paste. That stuff with a soft toothbrush and a cleaning cloth works incredibly well on stainless revolvers. Especially when trying to get marks off the cylinders and certain other areas which could take forever with most cleaners.
Is it this one ? Flitz Paste Polish for Metals, Fiberglass, Plastic & Paint
That one contains an ammonia solution. This will accelerate brass turning to patina between uses. You may find you need to reapply the paste more frequently as time goes on to keep the brass shinny.

Rifle, Gun & Knife Wax is better choice for brass.

Personally, I use a little Hoppes to clean followed up with Renaissance Wax applied with a 100% cotton cloth (not microfiber cloth, nor polyester).
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SWFan27 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:26 pm
SWFan27 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:00 am
Mags wrote:

Which version of Flitz?
Is it this one ? Flitz Paste Polish for Metals, Fiberglass, Plastic & Paint
That one contains an ammonia solution. This will accelerate brass turning to patina between uses. You may find you need to reapply the paste more frequently as time goes on to keep the brass shinny.

Rifle, Gun & Knife Wax is better choice for brass.

Personally, I use a little Hoppes to clean followed up with Renaissance Wax applied with a 100% cotton cloth (not microfiber cloth, nor polyester).
Thanks for the info!
1 x

Charlie
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Charlie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 am

I use Flitz metal polish as a first step polish when doing trigger jobs and such. It removes fine scratches left by file work and steel wool.
I finish with mother's polish. When I'm done, these parts would look good on a Christmas tree. I was curious how scratch resistant the brass reciver is. They sure look nice.
The main reason I went for a bbx was because it is a truck gun. It spends most of its time behind the truck seat with no case. If I was to get a brass reciver and beautiful walnut wood, it would probably be a range toy. Same as my guitars. I keep them pristine as long as I can.
I'm not much for the relic look. Unless it is earned.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:38 am

I used "Brasso" on mine a couple of times, but, finally let it go with the patina look. I like that better I suppose.
1 x

Forge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Forge » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:55 pm

I picked up my 2014 Big Boy 45 carbine used. It was a South Texas working ranch gun and has all the dings and normal handling wear you’d expect. Had a descent patina on it. I thought about polishing it, but decided I liked the patina. All I’ve done with the finish was wipe it down with Ballistol, before I went to Clenzoil. It still cleaned up nicely, but doesn’t have the high polish and I’m good with that. It would just patina back up anyway. Besides, if I polished the brass, I’d have to address the dings in the stock. It’s my working farm carbine now in Arkansas so I’m good leaving it as is so I don’t get pissed off the first time I nick or ding it like a new one. It rides in my 4 wheeler scabbard with me.
1 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:55 pm

I use Fitz or never dull
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:40 am

Forge wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:55 pm
I picked up my 2014 Big Boy 45 carbine used. It was a South Texas working ranch gun and has all the dings and normal handling wear you’d expect. Had a descent patina on it. I thought about polishing it, but decided I liked the patina. All I’ve done with the finish was wipe it down with Ballistol, before I went to Clenzoil. It still cleaned up nicely, but doesn’t have the high polish and I’m good with that. It would just patina back up anyway. Besides, if I polished the brass, I’d have to address the dings in the stock. It’s my working farm carbine now in Arkansas so I’m good leaving it as is so I don’t get pissed off the first time I nick or ding it like a new one. It rides in my 4 wheeler scabbard with me.
Like you I bought a 44 BBB that had seemed to be some kind of working gun also.
It had a few wood dings and the brass had a nice patina, which I prefer over the shiny finish.
To me it gives it a real nice cowboy look. All I've done other than shoot the heck out of it, was the change of the lever to the larger variety.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012