Nothing to it....Right?

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Nothing to it....Right?

Post by 5shot » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:11 pm

Steve51 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:21 am
I remove the bolt on center fire Henry lever guns like BigAl described and clean from the breach once or twice a year, the rest of the time I use the bore snake.
I'm beginning to think that quickie takedown screw or not this may be the best plan of all! :)
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:49 pm

"Nothing to it....Right?" It gets easier after a couple of times. You'll get used to it. Questions? Ask away.
1 x

Shenanigans
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Shenanigans » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:56 pm

5shot wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:11 pm
I'm beginning to think that quickie takedown screw or not this may be the best plan of all! :)
How often do you replace your bore snake? I used to use them until a gunsmith at my local shop warned that if it breaks while running through the barrel, they're very difficult, if not impossible, to get back out.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:52 pm

If you are that worried about the bore snake breaking dont use one. Use the Otis cleaning method instead.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:49 pm
"Nothing to it....Right?" It gets easier after a couple of times. You'll get used to it. Questions? Ask away.
Ranger Point parts came today which is impressive because they were just ordered on Thursday. And, yes...nothing to it. :D The lever screw has been tightened on this .45 Colt a couple times and it was a little loose again. Ranger claims the O-ring on their quick takedown screw will keep it tight. I like the way it bottoms out when tightened and it just looks like it belongs on the rifle. I'll probably do as Steve51 does and use the Otis cable for quick cleaning and the takedown when a more thorough scrubbing is called for.

Shenanigans..... I haven't used a Boresnake. I use an Otis cable system. If you go that route in a pistol caliber lever make sure to get short-shanked jags and brushes so they don't have to be shoehorned into that short opening.
1 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:42 pm
The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 am
I clean all my levers from the front end of the barrel with a bore guide or a Dewey cleaning rod..........That way i DON"T have disassemble each cleaning.........The more disassemblies the more slop you get in your tolerences. plus it's a waste of time.
I clean from the breech without disassembly.
Bore snakes?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm

Have you looked at the manual yet? But, I still remove the lever and bolt when cleaning. Since it was a subject in a different topic, take a look of what is stated about copper fouling.
https://www.henryusa.com/wp-content/upl ... Manual.pdf
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by servant824 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:14 pm

I do the same thing. Just remove the bolt and lever to clean from the back if it is really dirty. Total breakdown once a year at least. Other times just use a bore snake.. These guns are very easy to breakdown and put back together. Watch the cleaning videos. If I can do it anyone can.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:01 am

Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:14 pm
Mags wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:42 pm
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 am
I clean all my levers from the front end of the barrel with a bore guide or a Dewey cleaning rod..........That way i DON"T have disassemble each cleaning.........The more disassemblies the more slop you get in your tolerences. plus it's a waste of time.
I clean from the breech without disassembly.
Bore snakes?
Pull through cable using jags/swabs, brushes and squeegees mostly.

Per the manual
WHENEVER POSSIBLE, CLEAN THE BORE IN THE DIRECTION OF BULLET TRAVEL. When you fire your gun,
powder residue is deposited into the barrel bore. Improperly cleaning from muzzle to breech will cause this
powder residue to be carried from the bore into the chamber and action, causing fouling of intricate parts and
warranting more thorough cleaning by a qualified gunsmith. To properly clean from breech to muzzle, use a
pull-though cleaning kit
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234