How's the accuracy of the carbine ?
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry BBS 357 mag

Post by 5shot » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 pm

Henry.jpg
TraderVic. If you cast bullets the first two in the pic are the Lee 125 and Lee 158 RF's which feed like butter in my carbine. I don't powder coat the 125 because Lee actually put a decent lube groove in those. I load these over 5.4 grains of Power Pistol for just short of 1200 fps and good accuracy. These are my favorite plinking and swinger loads for both the lever and H015's. For an extra 100 fps I also load the 158 over 8 grains of HS6.

Number 3 from the left is the Lyman #358665 which drops at 166 gr. from my mold. I cast these on the soft side and load over 9.1 grains of Blue Dot for right at 1400 fps from the carbine. I use these in a Ruger 4" Security Six or 4" Smith Model 66 for walking around in the woods or for something on my belt when deer hunting with X-bow.

Next is the 158 XTP over 15.1 grains of 296. These clock at 1592 average and will hold an inch or a little over at 50 yards.

The SWC is the Lyman #358156 gas check. It feeds ok out of the lever but not quite as smooth as the RF's.

And last is the 160 gr. Lyman #358439 hollow point which is way too long to feed through a lever gun. It even has to be crimped over the front of the driving band for some of the Smith and Wesson's but sure is destructive out of the H015 Singles.

Hope some of this info is useful to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry BBS 357 mag

Post by Mike_S » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 am

Thanks for the above 5shot! I have most of what I would need to cast, what I don't have, my neighbor has.

The BBX has a 17.4" barrel, I guess that is the "tweener" rifle vs carbine length - I'd still call most barrels under 18" carbine. The other piece I truly like and appreciate is the lever. Henry lists it as a large lever, however, it's not got NEARLY the extensive bow the BBS rifle has. When I first saw it I thought "thank god it's not any bigger!" Once I got it outside shooting, I realized how perfect it was, and I have come to the realization that the slightly-larger-than-"normal" lever is very appealing in my eyes and a total gem to work with. So much so that I would be willing to trade out any other lever on a PG frame that I might have.

I wonder if Henry will do anything for straight stocks?
1 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX