Lever Rifle I wish Henry would make, I can dream Can't I

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Lever Rifle I wish Henry would make, I can dream Can't I

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm

jstanfield103 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:28 pm
I would think Henry could do it cheap. I would Love the cheaper 9mm ammo. I have a Henry in .357 the Classic BB and a Steel Carbine in 44 that I am finishing up the way I want it. But the cheaper 9mm would be awesome just to plink with and what ever. No recoil, magazine tube would hold more than the .38 and .357 and a heck of a lot cheaper. Heck already talk myself into buying it as soon as they make one. One day they will.
No recoil with 357 in a long gun.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cannonball
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Cannonball » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 pm

I wish they would do a S&W 460 mag that would also shoot 454 Casull and 45 LC.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:35 am

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm
jstanfield103 wrote:
I would think Henry could do it cheap. I would Love the cheaper 9mm ammo. I have a Henry in .357 the Classic BB and a Steel Carbine in 44 that I am finishing up the way I want it. But the cheaper 9mm would be awesome just to plink with and what ever. No recoil, magazine tube would hold more than the .38 and .357 and a heck of a lot cheaper. Heck already talk myself into buying it as soon as they make one. One day they will.

RP
Correct but even half of that with 9mm, just makes sense to me and don't know why they have not made that as of yet. Probably already on thier minds though.

Cannonball,
Definitely would also like that.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Cannonball
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Cannonball » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:40 am

jstanfield103 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:35 am
Vaquero wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm
jstanfield103 wrote:

RP
Correct but even half of that with 9mm, just makes sense to me and don't know why they have not made that as of yet. Probably already on thier minds though.

Cannonball,
Definitely would also like that.
I’m glad some others also would appreciate an affordable 460 S&W lever rifle. Bighorn Armory currently makes it to the tune of $5,100.00 and that’s not affordable to everyone. The 460 S&W in a Bighorn will send a 300 grain bullet at 2,200 FPS and a 200 grain at 3,000 FPS. That’s 45/70 power level in most factory ammunition. It’s also a straight wall cartridge that’s short enough at 1.8” to be legal in any of the straight wall cartridge only hunting states. Which brings me to this... why do we need to invent an entirely new cartridge (.360 Buckhammer) to do something the 460 S&W in a lever gun could do with more versatility by shooting .460 S&W, 454 Casull and 45 LC? I guess I don’t get it. I would be much more accepting of the new cartridge if the firearms and and ammunition manufacturers where caught up on current production. Adding something new only makes the current short supply situation worse and also drives up cost due to more demand and less availability.
3 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 pm

I honestly don’t see Henry doing this. The new Homesteader (which I personally have less than zero interest in) is their 9mm carbine. One reason they make .357 and .44 levers is to companion with .357 and .44 wheel guns. Obvious market there. The 9mm HS can take Glock and S&W mags to companion with those companies pistols. Also an obvious market.

Doing a 9mm lever makes very little sense in those terms, and as much as I think it would great to have a really cheap to shoot centerfire lever, I’d bet the farm Henry won’t ever build one.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:30 am

The bighorn rifle is a Winchester 92/86 type of design with the double locking bolts where the bolt and the receiver are close together. That is a lot stronger than the Henry/Marlin rifles with there one lock up in the inside. To me the only H.R.A. rifle that could handle those cartridges and the 50 S&W loads would be the Long Ranger. That model already is chambered for rifle cartridges so why down grade it to the lesser shorter handgun loads?
1 x

Cannonball
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Cannonball » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:57 am

Travlin wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:30 am
The bighorn rifle is a Winchester 92/86 type of design with the double locking bolts where the bolt and the receiver are close together. That is a lot stronger than the Henry/Marlin rifles with there one lock up in the inside. To me the only H.R.A. rifle that could handle those cartridges and the 50 S&W loads would be the Long Ranger. That model already is chambered for rifle cartridges so why down grade it to the lesser shorter handgun loads?
My above post specifically mentions the straight wall cartridge only states. All the current caliber offering in the Long Ranger would not be legal to use in any of them. I have a friend in Ohio and sometimes go up there to hunt. I could take my 45/70 there and be fine. If we went across state lines to Michigan, the 45/70 wouldn’t be legal there as they require the case length (not including the bullet) to be 1.8” or less.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:17 am

Cannonball wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:57 am
Travlin wrote:
My above post specifically mentions the straight wall cartridge only states. All the current caliber offering in the Long Ranger would not be legal to use in any of them. I have a friend in Ohio and sometimes go up there to hunt. I could take my 45/70 there and be fine. If we went across state lines to Michigan, the 45/70 wouldn’t be legal there as they require the case length (not including the bullet) to be 1.8” or less.
Well, Henry has that new Buckhammer coming out soon, not sure why it's taking so long.
Guess they are stuck on this damn 9mm thingy.
It's straight walled with a case length of 1.8", and supposedly in at least three different models
I'm not really all that interested in it either, but
would entertain it way before this silly mm thing.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:25 am

Pretty good discussion all the way around. Fun and interesting to read everyone's take.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Cannonball
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Cannonball » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:06 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:17 am
Cannonball wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:57 am
Travlin wrote:
Well, Henry has that new Buckhammer coming out soon, not sure why it's taking so long.
Guess they are stuck on this damn 9mm thingy.
It's straight walled with a case length of 1.8", and supposedly in at least three different models
I'm not really all that interested in it either, but
would entertain it way before this silly mm thing.

RP
Probably because they are a couple years behind on getting caught up with the current production models.
1 x