Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cases separating. Warranty service.

wrwarner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Cases separating. Warranty service.

Post by wrwarner » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:41 am

Last weekend I encountered a new issue with my BBX 357. Out of 7 rounds, 2 cases came apart clean in half. The ammo manufacturer is local so I took the box back to them for exchange and inspection. Upon looking in the chamber of the rifle noticed what appears to be a machined ring at about the same spot the cases broke in half. Contacted Henry and described the situation and they just responded that the rifle needs to be sent back in for repair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cases separating. Warranty service.

Post by GFK » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Interesting. Have you tried other brands on ammo yet?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm

I had to send my .327 back for the same reason. It didn't' matter if it was handloads or factory ammo. I'd get split or bulged cases. I guess the headspace wasn't correct. Oddly enough the barrel was very accurate. The replacement barrel isn't as much so but acceptable. The PIA is having to take everything off and then have to zero it in again. The second time I had to send it back was because the firing pin wasn't striking the primers hard enough. It got so bad that one of ten would fire. The third time I had to send it back was immediately after getting it back the second time. It came back with a cracked stock where it mated to the receiver.
Jake
0 x

wrwarner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wrwarner » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm

GFK wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:50 pm
I have probably shot 500 rounds through it total, variety of ammo, and no issues until now.
0 x

wrwarner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wrwarner » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:46 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm
I had to send my .327 back for the same reason. It didn't' matter if it was handloads or factory ammo. I'd get split or bulged cases. I guess the headspace wasn't correct. Oddly enough the barrel was very accurate. The replacement barrel isn't as much so but acceptable. The PIA is having to take everything off and then have to zero it in again. The second time I had to send it back was because the firing pin wasn't striking the primers hard enough. It got so bad that one of ten would fire. The third time I had to send it back was immediately after getting it back the second time. It came back with a cracked stock where it mated to the receiver.
Jake
What a nightmare. Makes me worried about sending mine in. I have replaced the black plastic stick and hand guard with the Henry wood option. Resistant to switch it back before sending it because of the trouble I had installing it, but hearing they cracked yours might change my mind.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:25 pm

wrwarner wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm
GFK wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:50 pm
I have probably shot 500 rounds through it total, variety of ammo, and no issues until now.
Hopefully, it will get resolved quickly!
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:29 pm

wrwarner wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:46 pm
Shakey Jake wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm
Jake
What a nightmare. Makes me worried about sending mine in. I have replaced the black plastic stick and hand guard with the Henry wood option. Resistant to switch it back before sending it because of the trouble I had installing it, but hearing they cracked yours might change my mind.
The good thing is they will make it right.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm

The last barrel on my BBS357 had a chamber that was so rough that it had hard extraction because it was putting deep scratches in my brass. Jope the problem gets resolved the first time you send it in.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:44 am

Think they are so far behind production that they are not quality inspecting their rifles like they use to. But they do have excellent customer service. Just to bad as of late they are needed more and more. I have had two Henry rifles in the past that had to go back for problems. Received one back with new barrel and one completely new rifle. No problems. I now have a new .44 steel on the way just purchased, crossing my fingers on this one.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:01 am

This is a post that I found from RPP about head spacing and case separation. I found it informative: https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/th ... ss.427537/
1 x