Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tax Time Again, Time for a new Henry

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Tax Time Again, Time for a new Henry

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:05 am

Ok Guy's/Gal's

I have several lever action rifles and have one that is .44 Mag. It is a new Winchester 1892 Short rifle Big loop Saddle Ring Carbine. Love it and is one of my favorites but I have several favorites. But it being a top eject I also wanted a side eject with the top enclosed (Henry or Marlin). Told the LGS that if he could get me a Henry or when Marlin came out with the 1894 at the end of next month get me one. My LGS never got back with me so he must not have been able to get one. Don't know why Henry is so far behind on building rifles right now but coming out with new models. Get caught up on current models before you build the new models. Don't know if this is true but have heard they are 5 years behind. That is hard to believe.

Was not hoping to hard to find a new Henry so thought that I would have to wait on a Marlin (Good Luck on that). Went yesterday and checked to see if he could find Henry in Steel which is what I wanted. I have the classic in .357 Mag and want the steel in .44 Mag. He checked all his distributors none available.

Went home and started to browse the internet to see what was out there. Few on GunBroker but was not going to pay what these guy's were asking ($1800 WOW) the ones that were up for auction were starting at $1050 with 7 and 8 days to go. I then looked on Grab-A-Gun and low and behold the had the Henry Big Boy Steel 16" Carbine in stock. Bought it at $950 still high but at least half way reasonable and they had it.

Now the wait begins on shipping and receiving. I now have the 1894 style and 1892 style rifle and very pleased. After purchasing the rifle went back to Grab-A-Gun web page to read a little more about it and they were sold out. Luckily I must have gotten the last one. I gotten tired of waiting on a Marlin, although I do have the new Trapper made Marlin. I am very happy to have found the Henry.
3 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Tax Time Again, Time for a new Henry

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am

Congrats and nice find. That’s probably going to be the price from here on.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:02 pm

Is that a sidegate model?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:46 pm

Congratulations! I bought my Marlin 1894CS form Grab-A-Gun, few years back (2019). Price was best that I could find. Also, it was the only place that I could find one. I am happy with both (the Marlin and Grab-A-Gun). I did look at the Henrys. But, the Silver Boy was not as shiny as I had hope; I wanted something different than my Henry H009. I would not hesitate to purchase another firearm from Grab-A-Gun. Happy Shooting!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:56 am

Thanks guy's, yes it is a side gate model # H012GR 16" Barrel steel receiver. It's kind of like the old Marlin Trapper style rifle (https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy ... side-gate/) I have a Rossi with a 16" barrel in .357 and that is just a real nice compact package as this should be. Wanted the Octagon Blued Steel barrel with Case Colored receiver but for another couple hundred dollars and none available I'm very pleased to get this lighter model.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:12 pm

congrats on landing a new Henry 44 mag .... ours has proven to be one heck of a rifle .... looking forward to your range and use reports as you grow better acquainted with it .... be sure to follow the link below and add it to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p215593
1 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:57 pm

Picked up my New Henry H012GR Thursday. I have a Rossi 92 short rifle that has a 16" barrel and love the shortness of that rifle. 13" LOP with saddle ring and large loop. It is just a compact rifle that feels great shouldered and in hand (.357).

This new Henry feels excellent with the shorter 16" barrel. I have replaced the rear sight with a Marbles Bullseye Sight ( which I have on 6 lever rifles now ) bought a leather belt and made a sling for it and wrapped the large loop in paracord. I also ordered a Butt Plate for it to get rid of the soft rubber butt pad. I have to cut the LOP on all my rifles (except my Rossi and 2 Winchester 92's that are all short rifles) and have to on this one also since it has a 14" LOP and I am only 5' 5" tall, I need my LOP at 12.5". So I might as well put a Butt Plate on instead of the Butt Pad. 44 really does not need the pad on it and feel and looks better with the plate.

I will post pictures when done, after the LOP adjustment.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:10 am

Congratulations on your new Henry.
0 x

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JVogler » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:37 am

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Hope you have fun with it. Before and after pictures are always appreciated while you tweak your rifle to your personal specs .
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:27 am

Pretty much done with it now. Was waiting to get the hard plastic butt plate in but went head and cut the LOP to 12.5" using the original 3/4" Henry Butt Pad. Ready to shoot this weekend or sooner if the wife gives me a little time. Pictures definitely this weekend
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small