Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Re-inventing the wheel?

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re-inventing the wheel?

Post by 5shot » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm

Hello folks. I currently own three Henry levers...an H001 .22 and a couple blued side gates, a .357 big loop carbine and a .45 Colt rifle. I handled a couple X models and seriously considered buying one but the trigger pull on the particular X model I handled was not too good. While I can see the practical utility of the X with the threaded barrel, tough stock material and the light rail it occured to me the most appealing part of the package for my purposes is the rail. So I got to thinking... :shock: ...certainly some sort of rail could be attached to the front sling stud :idea: sort of on the order of the way the Harris bipods attach without scuffing up the stock. So...then another thought came to mind :idea:

Certainly a contraption as obvious as this has already been marketed. Right? Has anyone seen such a device? Before I butcher up a perfectly good Harris bipod. :roll: :lol:

EDIT to add I see Harris has something called an SRA adapter for $47 that MIGHT SORTA work but with the stud being on the very front it would be pretty shoddy at best. I didn't think this through very well. Any adapter would almost have to be designed specifically for the Henry lever. Does anyone have any other ideas?
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Re-inventing the wheel?

Post by Mags » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:58 am

That Harris one can mount 180 with the sling stud toward the lever. The sling mounted to the stud would then be behind any attached rail device.

Caldwell also makes one
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-Rai ... 156&sr=1-3
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:51 am

Sorry the one you picked up didn't have a good trigger - mine does, I couldn't be happier! Stuck a decent light on it, a sling and I'm good to go!

I certainly enjoy shooting it!
0 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:08 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:58 am
That Harris one can mount 180 with the sling stud toward the lever. The sling mounted to the stud would then be behind any attached rail device.

Caldwell also makes one
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-Rai ... 156&sr=1-3
Mags. The anchoring point of the Harris is in the center of the unit so half of the rail would be out in thin air in front of the sling stud. The back half of the padded cradle would be bearing on the fore end surface which tapers a bit toward the cap so the rail probably wouldn't be parallel with the barrel?? I dunno. :? The Caldwell critter is ....guessing here....a Chinese knockoff of the American made Harris. If so, it's a non starter.

If I'm determined to hang a searchlight on a rifle maybe I need to shop for the X model? It's only money...the government will print more. :lol:
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 am

Mike_S wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:51 am
Sorry the one you picked up didn't have a good trigger - mine does, I couldn't be happier! Stuck a decent light on it, a sling and I'm good to go!

I certainly enjoy shooting it!
I'm sure it was just that particular rifle and glad to hear you like yours. I was thinking about the light for those "What are the dogs barking at?" incidents. We're overrun with raccoons around here lately and I shot a sick one a while back. I was hoping there was some sort of quickie on and off arrangement for the carbine.
0 x