Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Brass Big Boy 30/30 strength

concretus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Brass Big Boy 30/30 strength

Post by concretus » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 pm

Hello,
Does the Henry BB 30/30 with a brass receiver have any strength issues or thing to be aware of? There’s one for sale locally and I want to make sure it will last. I would reload for it; no hotter than factory specs. Thanks
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Henry Brass Big Boy 30/30 strength

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:38 pm

concretus wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 pm
Hello,
Does the Henry BB 30/30 with a brass receiver have any strength issues or thing to be aware of? There’s one for sale locally and I want to make sure it will last. I would reload for it; no hotter than factory specs. Thanks
It's a brass alloy that Henry claims to be a strong as steel.
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:15 pm

As a former machinist, I used to machine some brass and brass alloys for Boeing Commercial Aircraft. There are some brass alloys that are really tough *for their application* for aerospace parts. I will admit that I'm not as "up to speed" on my metallurgy as I was many moons ago, and not knowing exactly what alloy Henry uses, makes it tough to offer an opinon on the receiver's durability from that standpoint.

But the chamber machined into the rifle and the bolt would seem (to me; but I'm no Engineer) to take most of the stresses from touching off a round. And ultimately, I have to look at it like this: If Henry feels their receiver is durable enough to withstand the thumping, stresses, and pressures of a .45-70 round with their brass alloy, I doubt I'd worry about what a .30-30 could do to one.

Hope this helps some!
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:19 pm

Well, they also make a "Brass" model 45-70,
Not sure about pressures of either, just saying...
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/brass-l ... ion-45-70/

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:41 pm

...The receiver of the rifle utilizes Henry’s signature hardened brass, which has the same tensile and yield strength as steel...
https://www.henryusa.com/news/the-side- ... for-henry/
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:46 am

Most of the pressures when a round is fired is mostly contained by steel; the bolt and the barrel’s chamber. An engineer or those smarter than me (including the squash that grew in my garden), would probably agree that the brass part really ain’t under much stress, and kinda just gives the bolt, lever, trigger & such a platform to work from.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

concretus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by concretus » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:24 am

Thanks everyone for making those great points. It helps me make a decision.
2 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:32 am

Either way I would not worry about it. Like said they claim it is strong as steel. If it did stretch or break I would figure Henry would replace it or fix it. They back what they sell pretty well.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:52 am

Haven't ever heard of the brass reciever on a Henry weakening being fired in any caliber. I would[and do] believe you have nothing to worry about.
My .357 Henry BB brass has no sighns of stress whats so ever. You're good.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am

Having shot break barrels a la Contenders and Encores for decades, break barrel frames can stretch if you use cartridges that develop pressures or loads in excess of what the frame can handle. First generation Contenders were notorious for this when shooters would hot rod them and use cartridges not endorsed by TC. Was not a problem when shooters stayed with cartridges TC endorsed for the Contender as long as reloaders stayed within specs for the cartridge.

Not to worry, though. The 30-30 is not a high pressure cartridge relative to more modern cartridges. Runs at far less pressure than a 30-06, 270, 308, 243 and so on. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding a bottleneck rifle cartridge that runs at a lower pressure. The properly engineered brass alloy frame that Henry uses can easily handle it. In fact, BFR even chambers the 30-30 in one of their revolvers.

This is not a put down of the 30-30, by the way. I love the 30-30 for that very reason. More than one hundred years after it was introduced, it's still doing an amazing job of bringing home the meat.
3 x