Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New cartridge coming

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

New cartridge coming

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:34 am

Anyone heard this news? It's called the .360 Buckhammer.
Henry and Rem./Vista Outdoors are supposedly teaming up to introduce a new straight walled deer cartridge for those states that require a straight wall and a 1.8" case length.
Going to be a Real 35 cal., using .358 diameter bullets. 180 & 200 gr.
Advertised as being faster than the 35 Rem. :o ;)

I myself haven't a need for one, but I do see it as a thing for reloaders.
As it may ramp up the production the ole 200 gr. Cor lokts. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/HenryRepeating ... 431803787/

Thoughts?

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New cartridge coming

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:45 am

haven't heard anything along that line .... does sound interesting .... that would create a strong cartridge in the very popular 357 caliber
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 am

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php? ... on.914184/

It’s similar to a .350 Legend with a rim so a Henry can use it in more models than the SS….

C316DF11-6A65-45B9-9CCD-8615D3F3DCCC.png

I don’t know why anyone would want to buy one over a .44 Mag. Specialty cartridges are fads designed to make big money, then they fade away, unless they add some unique benefit, like the .327 Federal Mag did.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:35 am

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 am
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php? ... on.914184/

It’s similar to a .350 Legend with a rim so a Henry can use it in more models than the SS

I don’t know why anyone would want to buy one over a .44 Mag. Specialty cartridges are fads designed to make big money, then they fade away, unless they add some unique benefit, like the .327 Federal Mag did.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Don't understand why the .355 bullet in the legend, to me they handicapped it from the get go. :roll:
This 360 is a .358, so a true 35 cal., and could benefit us that load for 35 Rem.

Being fast than the 35 Rem. the 44 is Way behind.
I'll most likely own neither of these reinvented wheels. ;) :lol:

RP
4 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:39 am

Best of luck to Henry on the new cartridge and I mean that, sincerely. Have to point out, though, that new lever gun specific cartridges do not have a great track record for survival and popularity. Marlin and Winchester tried it over the years and a lot of those cartridges are pretty much dead in the water, now. Hope Henry has better luck.
4 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:34 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:39 am
Best of luck to Henry on the new cartridge and I mean that, sincerely. Have to point out, though, that new lever gun specific cartridges do not have a great track record for survival and popularity. Marlin and Winchester tried it over the years and a lot of those cartridges are pretty much dead in the water, now. Hope Henry has better luck.
Ammo for my Buddy's Winchester '94 Big Bore immediately comes to mind. It uses the .375 Winchester cartridge. We once had to make cases from cut down .30-30 cases to feed that gun; loaded factory ammo is almost non-existent around here.......

Added in EDIT: That .375 Winchester cartridge is a straight-wall case, and as far as I know, is like North Country Gal said; mainly meant for lever rifles.

Maybe some states' ammo restrictions to straight walled cartridges could sorta help the new round out? Still as Vaquero said, kind of a re-invented wheel, but be nice if it worked out financially for them involved.....
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:01 pm

Hmmm, FWIW - Remington has a poor track record of supporting their new cartridges. Just a few examples would be 6mm Rem, 260 Rem for starters..
Maybe the new Remington ammunition company (Federal, etc) would be different (??).
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:32 pm

I didn’t think the .17HMR had a snowballs chance of surviving. I’m hoping the new Henry caliber will make it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:28 am

I wondered why Henry hasn't chambered the .357 Max in a lever. I suppose if they did customer service would be getting complaints from people that tried to cycle standard .357's through the Max rifle? Reaming a standard .357 chamber to .357 Max was the reason I bought a second .357 H015...that and the fact that it had really nice wood. :D Then an internet search for brass caused that idea to go out the window. :lol:
The reasoning for a cartridge like the .360 in straightwall areas is understandable and I hope it works for Henry. Some other cartridges that come to mind are .307, .356 and .375 Win or .308 and .338 Marlin or maybe .30 TC :( . Try finding any of them at the local shop. The fact that this .360 has .358" bullets is a plus for handloaders and it would also be a bonus if cases could readily be formed from some other plentiful brass.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:22 am

I agree about the Max. It was a great cartridge. After Ruger and Dan Wesson dropped the Max in their revolvers, Contender fans grabbed the Max and fell in love with it. I shot the Max in a Contender back on the day and really enjoyed it. You could load it up hot and get 44 mag country performance without the recoil. Of course, now the Contender is gone, too.

Another cartridge that was rescued by the Contender was the 7-30 Waters, which is simply a 30-30 necked down to 7mm. Winchester introduced it in their Model 94 for a couple years in the mid 70s and then dropped it like a rock. Contender fans jumped all over it and it's still popular with those who still shoot Contenders. It was a little hotter than needed for silhouette, but I enjoyed many a fine range session shooting it in a Contender.

In fact, all of the classic lever gun cartages were popular in the Contender, especially the 30-30, 35 Rem and the 45-70. The Contender is history, now, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone still shooting a Contender shooter tries to have one barreled in the new Buckhammer.
1 x