Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blind Squirrel Finds A Nut!

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Blind Squirrel Finds A Nut!

Post by azdover » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:35 pm

Actually, it's more like the saber tooth squirrel Scritch in the Ice Age movies find an acorn.

I was shopping around looking for a 357 side gate carbine, not really expecting much luck, but at least it got me out of sight of the Boss. I walked into a small but well stocked Phoenix shop. First thing that catches my eye is a 24K gold plated AK-47 - must be a Scarface LEETTLE FRIEND model.

I almost left but then noticed a couple of lever actions shoved in the corner out of the glare of the AK. One was a tacticool Rossi 357, but right behind it was a stainless looking rifle. I asked to look at that one and BINGO! A Henry Big Boy Sidegate 357 All Weather! And it didn't have a 2 or even a 1 in front of the last 3 digits on the price tag like all the 357 All Weathers on gunburgler. The carbine immediately goes on hold and I start waving around the plastic like a samuri sword.

Mandatory picture or it didn't happen. Might just have to leave this one unmolested and learn to use it like a lever gun should be shot. The middle is a 357 H012GM converted to a pistol grip. The bottom is a 44 Mag H012X with wood furniture.

Maybe there really is a Santa
Pete

7 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Blind Squirrel Finds A Nut!

Post by azdover » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:38 pm

And then I started thinking (never really a good thing). Wonder what a pistol grip 357 All Weather would look like? Out came an air wrench and a little Lego gun smithing later...

Got possibilities, but everything is back in place where they belong.
Last edited by azdover on Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:40 pm

Nice set you have there Sir, and I like the AW with the wood and PG.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:52 pm

That last picture of your two Henry's with the switch; I like that. Both look good. Real good.
0 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 am

azdover wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:35 pm
Actually, it's more like the saber tooth squirrel Scritch in the Ice Age movies find an acorn.

I was shopping around looking for a 357 side gate carbine, not really expecting much luck, but at least it got me out of sight of the Boss. I walked into a small but well stocked Phoenix shop. First thing that catches my eye is a 24K gold plated AK-47 - must be a Scarface LEETTLE FRIEND model.

I almost left but then noticed a couple of lever actions shoved in the corner out of the glare of the AK. One was a tacticool Rossi 357, but right behind it was a stainless looking rifle. I asked to look at that one and BINGO! A Henry Big Boy Sidegate 357 All Weather! And it didn't have a 2 or even a 1 in front of the last 3 digits on the price tag like all the 357 All Weathers on gunburgler. The carbine immediately goes on hold and I start waving around the plastic like a samuri sword.

Mandatory picture or it didn't happen. Might just have to leave this one unmolested and learn to use it like a lever gun should be shot. The middle is a 357 H012GM converted to a pistol grip. The bottom is a 44 Mag H012X with wood furniture.

Maybe there really is a Santa
Pete

What optic is on the X? I’m considering the Holosun open reflex for a 357 X, and installing the wood. It’s nice with plastic because I do t sweat scratches but walnut looks so dang good.
0 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 am

Luv the lever wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 am
What optic is on the X?
It's a Holosun 507 on a Midwest Industries Trijicon RMR Low QD Mount (MFG SKU: MI-QDRMR-L). I mounted it on an EGW Henry Big Boy (H006,H012) picatinny rail. The iron sights are just visible over the rail when the optic is removed but still useable.

1 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:19 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:40 pm
Nice set you have there Sir, and I like the AW with the wood and PG.

RP
If Henry sold a hard chrome pistol grip large loop lever for the H012, I'd really be tempted to make the switch permanent. But I don't see one on their website. Might still do it if I can find a shop to cerakote the lever to match the receiver and barrel.
1 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:44 am

Congratulations. It is awful hard to find those .357. I got lucky and found one used at my LGS and snagged it right up. Shortened the LOP to 12.5" and put large loop on her. Beautiful well shooting rifle. Perfect size with the 20" barrel and shorter LOP.

You did well. Marry Christmas.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:42 am

azdover wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 am
Luv the lever wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 am
What optic is on the X?
It's a Holosun 507 on a Midwest Industries Trijicon RMR Low QD Mount (MFG SKU: MI-QDRMR-L). I mounted it on an EGW Henry Big Boy (H006,H012) picatinny rail. The iron sights are just visible over the rail when the optic is removed but still useable.

I wish I could be more original but that is exactly how I picture the 357 X to look. Right down to the optic. The hardest part is the fact I really like the factory fiber optic sights on these!
0 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:21 pm

Luv the lever wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:42 am
I wish I could be more original but that is exactly how I picture the 357 X to look. Right down to the optic. The hardest part is the fact I really like the factory fiber optic sights on these!
I wish I could hit what I aim at with factory iron or fiber optic sights. I’m pretty sure my glasses prescription is same they used to build the Hubble telescope. It’s a shame to clutter up the classic lines of a nice lever action with a scope or red dot, but that’s the only way I’m going to keep my shots forward of the firing line.
5 x