Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry 30-30 Issues

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry 30-30 Issues

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:01 am

More good advice on the O-ring!!! Thanks for that!!!

I got the only RPP lever take down knob they had in stock; model #145 in black. It has "WIN" and "30-30" on it. Last one on the right end in this pic:

https://rangerpointstore.com/Henry-lever-takedown-screw

It's sorta pricey ($29). But after I had this last feed jam I described earlier above happen during hunting this year, I wanted some "insurance" that I could deal with it a bit easier in the future, if needed. If nothing else, it makes tearing down enough to get the bolt out and clean my rifle easier.......

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this also might help someone. I took a very narrow jeweler's file to the head of the OEM Henry lever pivot shoulder bolt, and made the slot wider to accept almost any decent sized screw driver. Takes a little patience and proceeding slowly. My Leatherman screw driver now fits this bolt, but not after it boogered it up a bit fixing the feed jam. Put some cold blue on it after I did the file job, and it actually doesn't look bad. It's just more convenient to use the RPP takedown screw when I don't happen to have a screwdriver handy. I drilled and tapped a pice of metal to fit the Henry shoulder bolt (10-32 threads, I think??) and clamped the metal in a vice while I filed it. A nut with the right threads would’ve been easier……… :roll:

Added in EDIT: A pic of the widened lever shoulder bolt. Probably nothing new, and with the right file, easy to do….

1CBB2DFF-8554-4197-B2F0-92F24310660A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:37 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:01 am

I got the only RPP lever take down knob they had in stock; model #145 in black. It has "WIN" and "30-30" on it. Last one on the right end in this pic:

https://rangerpointstore.com/Henry-lever-takedown-screw

It's sorta pricey ($29). But after I had this last feed jam I described earlier above happen during hunting this year, I wanted some "insurance" that I could deal with it a bit easier in the future, if needed. If nothing else, it makes tearing down enough to get the bolt out and clean my rifle easier.......
Thank You! Fair trade on exchange of ideas and advice!
I had been carrying a long thin screw driver to dig out jammed rounds.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Tejun
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tejun » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Howdy Folks, sorry for not checking in and updating the progress. Been busy around the house and went on a deer hunting trip this past weekend.

I ended up calling Henry CS back that Monday and the guy I talked to said the brass magazine follower fixed that problem the majority of the time. He wouldn’t talk in any more detail citing they could not give troubleshooting advice. He offered to send a new tube and it arrived today. Unfortunately the problem still exists. I do notice some significant metal removal on the lever that looks suspicious. I talked to the owner and he said he had never taken the gun apart and that he had purchased it at a pawn shop. I will try to get some pics of the lever and post them. I will also try the twisting of follower tube trick as well. Thanks for the continued posts on this topic
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:09 pm

I will also try the twisting of follower tube trick as well.
Mags' advice about doing that really helps with my rifle!

Hope you get all these nagging little things solved, Tejun!
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Tejun
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tejun » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:30 pm

Howdy Folks and Happy New Year !
Good news to report on this issue. I ordered a new lever from Henry. It arrived today and it solved the problem. The owner was adamant that the gun was new when purchased at a pawn shop but from what I could find, the H009 did not come with a big loop lever, which is what it had. The lever had some significant filing work done on it to remove the sharp edges which were distinctly different than on the new one. Installed it this afternoon and, although a little stiff, it worked as it should. I found one area that is showing signs of a “shiny spot” from cycling but before I do any adjustments I want the owner to do some breakin shooting for a bit. Will have him bring back after some shooting for a thorough cleaning and check that spot.
6 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:53 am

Depending on where the shiny spot is, you may be able to “move” the wear area away from whatever or wherever it’s rubbing with some shims.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:34 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:53 am
Depending on where the shiny spot is, you may be able to “move” the wear area away from whatever or wherever it’s rubbing with some shims.
It's a shame that we have to do an 'Afro American adjustment ' with shims or a file on rifles that should be engineered and built and leave the factory correctly for the money spent :( :( :x
1 x
I love my country but I fear my government

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:24 pm

ol'pole wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:34 pm
Mr. Neutron wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:53 am
It's a shame that we have to do an 'Afro American adjustment ' with shims or a file on rifles that should be engineered and built and leave the factory correctly for the money spent :( :( :x
What you say is true, but, easy on the way you described it please. Thank you.
1 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:25 am

Tejun wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 pm
Howdy from Deep East Texas !
Friend of mine came over yesterday and we were talking guns. He said he had a rifle he was about to toss in the lake. I asked him what kind of rifle. He went to his truck and brought back a Henry 30-30, said his wife had won it in a raffle last year. He proceeded to show me how the lever wouldn’t stay locked. He fiddled around and ended up getting a live round jammmed with the bolt open. I told him if he left it with me, I’d see if I could figure out. He handed it to me and said no hurry. After he left, I removed the lever and got the live round removed. Brought it in and did a complete disassembly and clean. Reassembled and put two dummy rounds in the tube and it cycled them fine. The lever would latch but not firmly. I was about to call him this morning and tell him to come try it but decided to load the magazine with more rounds. Well, it handles two ok but put a third round in the magazine and use the brass follower tube and the lever releases and cannot be latched. I called Henry CS this afternoon and the guy seemed rushed ( not typical experience I’ve had in past but it was late Friday afternoon) he told me it was probably the brass follower tube and suggested I call the accessories dept and order a new one. I’m having problems understanding how the follower tube could cause this issue ??

I don’t know the model. When I look on the Henry website, all the 30-30s (except brass) have the side port to load the rounds in the magazine. This rifle has no such port. The only way to load is via the mag tube.

Any of you have any experience with this problem ?
Sometimes a broken spring, messed up button or dirt can cause it to have cycling issues.
My buddy’s 45-70 had the same problem and a new (free/warranty) mag tube fixed it.
0 x