Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Part of case stuck in chamber - Henry .357

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Part of case stuck in chamber - Henry .357

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:33 pm

Usually the Underwood ammo is good stuff and they use Starline brass which is very good brass unless they changed to something else.
Have you tried a sharp pick bent 90* to try and pull it out?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:17 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:33 pm
Usually the Underwood ammo is good stuff and they use Starline brass which is very good brass unless they changed to something else.
Have you tried a sharp pick bent 90* to try and pull it out?
A dental tool might work.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:04 am

I would be careful with a dental pick as they are hardened steel and could score the chamber.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:50 am

Cleaning jag?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:31 am

jostermacedo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:50 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:17 pm
Do you have the head that extracted so you could post a picture?
I don't. I left the range when I noticed it wouldn't feed and it took 15 minutes to get help. Once I knew the issue was the partial case in the chamber someone else was using my lane in the range. Not to mention that the amount of brass on the floor was so high it would take a long time to find the case anyway.

I'll post a picture of the front part of the case when it's removed from the chamber.

Joster
I strongly suggest you pass this along to Underwood, along with the lot number of the box this round came from if you still have it, and any other relevant details. They may have gotten a bad batch of brass, and want to send out a recall notice on affected lots. They may also send you a free box of ammo. A company's most valuable asset is their reputation, and they will want to know about this.

PS: I've patronized Underwood for almost 10 years, and bought a variety of calibers from them including .357, and never had a problem with their ammo. They're good folks.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

nipprdog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by nipprdog » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:58 pm

got one out of a FAL rifle once with a dental tool.
0 x

jostermacedo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jostermacedo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:00 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:31 am
jostermacedo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:50 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:17 pm
Do you have the head that extracted so you could post a picture?
I don't. I left the range when I noticed it wouldn't feed and it took 15 minutes to get help. Once I knew the issue was the partial case in the chamber someone else was using my lane in the range. Not to mention that the amount of brass on the floor was so high it would take a long time to find the case anyway.

I'll post a picture of the front part of the case when it's removed from the chamber.

Joster
I strongly suggest you pass this along to Underwood, along with the lot number of the box this round came from if you still have it, and any other relevant details. They may have gotten a bad batch of brass, and want to send out a recall notice on affected lots. They may also send you a free box of ammo. A company's most valuable asset is their reputation, and they will want to know about this.

PS: I've patronized Underwood for almost 10 years, and bought a variety of calibers from them including .357, and never had a problem with their ammo. They're good folks.
I sent a message to them today. Let's see what they say. The failed round was the third shot from a box of 20, so I decided to check the other rounds. I found 2 with a bulge in the case. See pictures below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

jostermacedo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jostermacedo » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:16 pm

Travlin wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:59 pm
Had this happen to a toggle link lever gun. Take one of your empty cases of the same caliber and find a short bolt that is slightly bigger in diameter. Grind a slight taper on the end of the bolt so that it will start to enter the empty cases. Next chuck the bolt in a vise so that you can access the tapered end. Take a hacksaw and cut three of four short slots at 90 degrees to the threads. What you are doing is making a self tapping bolt. Put the tapered end of the bolt into the brass that is left in the chamber , tap it slightly and turn it maybe half a turn until it bites into the brass but not too much. Now take you cleaning rod that is close to bore diameter , put it in the muzzle until it bumps the bolt and tap easy until the brass drops out. NOW WHY did you get a head separation? Bad headspace oe a case that was a poor reload?
Thanks for the advice! Answering your question: I believe it was bad ammo. It was a factory load: Underwood 158gr.

Joster
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:29 pm

You can take an oversized brush and get them out....usually. I would use a brush for a 40 caliber (at minimum) and you may be able to use a 45. You'll ruin the brush but you can keep it on hand in case it happens again. Just force it in until it, for a better term, crams inside what's left and then pull it out. I had to do that with my .327 Fed Mag Henry when it had a headspace problem. I think I used a 40 cal with it. I finally sent it back and Henry put a new barrel on it. (That was the first time I sent it back....it made two more trips). You can do this from the chamber end without too much of a hassle.
Jake
2 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 pm

Something like this is not uncommon on some centerfire rifles, especially when brass has been reloaded a number of times. There are even tools/devices to get this done quickly:
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-223-Broken-S ... B002TUSJZ2

I've never heard of this happening with a straight wall pistol cartridge. I'd be calling Underwood.
Save the rest of that ammo, and the box it came in for the lot number. They'll need that when you contact them.
0 x