Dovetail is Loose

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Dovetail is Loose

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:38 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:08 am
One trick that sometimes works on sights.
Lock the dovetail insert, edge up in a vise, then use a center punch to tap a divot in the angled edge. (Or, depending on how loose, flip it, and do both edges.)

When you center punch the metal, it slightly raises the metal around the circular divot. Swelling the side slightly. Tightening the dovetailed insert. Or so I've been told. It worked the one time I had a loose sight on a handgun
I did that for the sight on my 1858 revolver. Also had to do that on on the ejector rod dovetail.
As for sending back to Henry, that's to me an option of last resort. The shim was an easy fix. I might still ask Henry to send me an oversized forearm support dovetail just so I have it, but unless the problem comes back after being shimmed I am loath to remove the mag tube and mag tube dovetail to install it. As for 'tap a divot' on this dovetail slot see previous post https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 63#p208687
Last edited by Mags on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by parson48 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:29 pm

The shim was quick and only required the removal of 2 screws. I was at the range yesterday and fired a few pretty stout loads and everything remained tight. Fast, easy and totally reversible.
2 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:53 pm

My new BB 45 had that little rattle. Thanks for the tip, I shimmed it and the rattle is gone.
2 x