Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dovetail is Loose

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Dovetail is Loose

Post by parson48 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:37 am

Hey, folks- Picked up a new Big Boy steel 44 mag side gate last week. The forearm is loose and a little noisy. I removed the screws and took a look, and the dovetail that the screws go into is quite loose in it's slot.

I've tightened the screws as much as I dare to, but the forearm will not stay tight. Is this a common problem? If so, is there an easy fix or should I send it in for repair?

Thanks
Bill
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Dovetail is Loose

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:18 pm

parson48 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:37 am
Hey, folks- Picked up a new Big Boy steel 44 mag side gate last week. The forearm is loose and a little noisy. I removed the screws and took a look, and the dovetail that the screws go into is quite loose in it's slot.

I've tightened the screws as much as I dare to, but the forearm will not stay tight. Is this a common problem? If so, is there an easy fix or should I send it in for repair?

Thanks
Bill
My BB45 Colt CCH rifle had the same issue. From a narrow broken tape measure strip, I cut a piece and wedged it between the rifle barrel and the forearm support dovetail. Made of spring steel the curvature of the tape strip acts as a spring to hold the dovetail rigidly in place. Fortunately this was an easy fix and didn't need to send it back to Henry for repair.
This is my pet peeve with Henry. Things getting out the factory door that shouldn't have. The person doing the assembly should have caught this, as well as the person doing the test fire and the person doing the final quality check. And anyone else that signed that final inspection card that comes in the box with the rifle.
4 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by parson48 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Thanks, Mags. I thought about shimming it, and I still may.

Have to agree with you about Henry quality control. They seem to go to lengths to take care of you, but some things shouldn't get out the door in the first place.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:37 pm

Mags I believe you had a better idea than what I did. My solution was to cut a piece of feeler gauge and used it as a shim. I wonder if Henry has that part that is slightly oversized that would fit. When I get my Big Boy back from the smith that is re- barreling it for me I don't think it will have the same problem.
0 x

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by parson48 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Didn't have any cans but I did find an old set of feeler gauges in my tool cabinet. Small piece of .005 has it tight like it oughta be!!

Hey- I'm a gunsmith now!! :D
3 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:42 pm

OR lightly tap down the "ears" of the dovetail and tap it back in....Here Loctite is your friend.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:02 pm

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:42 pm
OR lightly tap down the "ears" of the dovetail and tap it back in....Here Loctite is your friend.
The ears of the forearm dovetail slot aren't accessible without removing the mag tube, which then involves removing the mag tube support dovetail. Loctite works good on capillary fill in screw threads, but not gap of the size seen with these dovetails.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:11 pm

leverjc wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:37 pm
Mags I believe you had a better idea than what I did. My solution was to cut a piece of feeler gauge and used it as a shim. I wonder if Henry has that part that is slightly oversized that would fit. When I get my Big Boy back from the smith that is re- barreling it for me I don't think it will have the same problem.
I suspect, one of these
The dovetail gap was over cut in the bottom of the rifle barrel or
The dovetail itself was a defect or
Mixed inventory, dovetail from a different model of rifle was used.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:08 am

One trick that sometimes works on sights.
Lock the dovetail insert, edge up in a vise, then use a center punch to tap a divot in the angled edge. (Or, depending on how loose, flip it, and do both edges.)

When you center punch the metal, it slightly raises the metal around the circular divot. Swelling the side slightly. Tightening the dovetailed insert. Or so I've been told. It worked the one time I had a loose sight on a handgun
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:11 am

Or, you can simply call Henry Customer Service and ask them to send another dovetailed insert to try before returning the rifle for repair.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.