All Weather Big Boy grouping issues

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: All Weather Big Boy grouping issues

Post by Sumaru » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:23 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:51 pm
If you have say a Hornady XTP bullet which normally measures .430 does it expand enough at normal .44 Mag loads to grip the rifling if the bore is .4315?
Yo 40! Like I mentioned in the response to leverjc, I just checked the bore with calipers (no bore guage here) and it comes to about .425"-.427"...Could this be an issue?
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 pm

have a 44 mag single shot that groups well at 50 yards consistently with 240 gr jsp' s and cast performance lead bullets. Been told that henry barrels are designed to stabilize 240 grain bullets and will not perform well with lighter ones . I have loaded 200 and 225 grain bullets and they did not group well. I was surprised at how shallow the rifling is in my 44 but it does shoot well. I just have a feeling that your barrel is over bored.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:19 pm

It's not the bore but the distance between the grooves that counts. Slug the barrel and then put a micrometer on the slug to get the truth.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:39 pm

The one that they replaced the barrel on was a 22lr Goldenboy that the rifling did not go all the way to the end of the barrel. The other one was a .357 Mag that the barrel sights were not cut top dead center on the front sight.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:46 pm

I have the same problem with my X series .44 mag.

Can’t get it to do any better than 5 inch groups at 50 yards. I was using Federal 240 gr. JHP. Then I changed to 240 gr. lead round nose. They were even worse. I was shooting off Caldwell front/rear rests….and using a 1.5 to 7 power scope. Does anyone know what proof Henry needs from us to change out barrels!

I guess we all can use .44 special ammo……and see how that works!
1 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 pm

pennsylvaniapete wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:46 pm
I have the same problem with my X series .44 mag.

Can’t get it to do any better than 5 inch groups at 50 yards. I was using Federal 240 gr. JHP. Then I changed to 240 gr. lead round nose. They were even worse. I was shooting off Caldwell front/rear rests….and using a 1.5 to 7 power scope. Does anyone know what proof Henry needs from us to change out barrels!

I guess we all can use .44 special ammo……and see how that works!
Not sure about you, but I'm not game for spending that much $$ and having to make such a compromise. I'm hoping it was my aging eyeballs and/or shitty rear sight design/performance. I plan to mount a scope and try again. I'll send it back if I have to, but not savoring that idea considering what I expected to get, having spent so much.
1 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:30 am

One thing on Henry,
Sending it back and turn around is very good with them. Probably as good and even better than all the other manufactures. I sent mine back and in both rifles turnaround time back to my door was less than two weeks. Great customer service. Just to bad they need the customer service. But everyone does in every business.
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:05 am

Sumaru wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 pm
... I'll send it back if I have to, but not savoring that idea considering what I expected to get, having spent so much.
I agree with that. I had to send my Long Ranger back. I was not happy and worried the whole time if I would ever see it again (my first time doing so). This was early 2019.
Took 5 days shipping from here to Rice Lake. Henry had it for 4 days. Took 4 days shipping to get it back.

I now own 4 Henrys and everyone of them had an issue or issues that should not have escaped the factory. My opinion Henry has a ship it and fix later mentality. Except for the Long Ranger, I dealt with the other things myself, but pissed me off having to do so for how much I'd invested in the purchase of each rifle.

That said their cosmetic quality, rifle functionality and warranty service is the best I've ever experienced. Top shelf there.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:14 am

I just filed a warranty claim request with Customer Service yesterday afternoon. It was for my X Series .44 magnum which cannot shoot acceptable groups at 25 yards. Henry acknowledged receipt of my request for service. Now, we will see what they want to do.
1 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:03 pm

pennsylvaniapete wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:14 am
I just filed a warranty claim request with Customer Service yesterday afternoon. It was for my X Series .44 magnum which cannot shoot acceptable groups at 25 yards. Henry acknowledged receipt of my request for service. Now, we will see what they want to do.
Hey Pete- please let us know how that goes! I had to settle today (burning too much ammo) with essentially a 4" group at about 45 yards. And that's with what I presumed were a lot of "flyers". Still not sure if that should be acceptable with a mounted scope.
0 x