Post by JimCunn » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Anybody got a link to a video?
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: H006M Hammer spring replacement video

Post by leverjc » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 pm

I believe Henry disassembly videos on their web site would cover that. I am wondering what type of hammer spring you are going to use if it is not a stock spring.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:40 am

I'm also curious on why. My BBC is very crisp and light from the factory. I would not want it any lighter for field use. But you might be target shooting only. But still I can't imagine going any lighter.

Here is Disassembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AP_eXtXeF0&t=232s

Here is the assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-sxRQHoeC8
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'm familiar with those. Was hoping for something more direct, but thanks for the response.
Re trigger, I no longer hunt, and don't go to ranges, so it is just for plinking.
I like light triggers. Will probably set this one at a little over 2 pounds. It presently averages 2 pounds 14 ounces.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:02 pm

I have not replaced a hammer spring on a Henry but when I went with a lighter wolf spring on Marlin 94 it reduced the trigger pull about a half a pound. That should put you very close to a two pound pull. To replace the hammer spring just remove the buttstock making sure the hammer is fully forward then remove the spring retainer by pushing down on it then sliding it sideways.
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:54 am

Thanks, leverjc, much appreciated.
Retainer not identical to Marlin, but close enough.
Took 5 minutes to swap springs.
Trigger pull dropped from 2 pounds 14 ounces to one pound 15 ounces with much smoother action on lever. Trigger seems crisper, but that may be overactive imagination.

I'll test for light strikes, and if I get any, will switch to an intermediate Marlin spring.
This first trial makes me think I will probably want to go for about 2 pounds 4 to 6 ounces or thereabouts.
Spring currently installed is from triggershims.com #33101
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:08 pm

Trigger currently averaging 2 pounds, reasonably crisp. No light strikes.
At 80, I'm no longer a good shot, but with open sights am hitting a coke can at 125 feet. Adequate for plinking, I guess.
1 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:33 pm

I think I am going to change the hammer spring on my .44 mag x series….good discussion guys.

On a different note. I find that screws loosen up all over the rifle. Top tang screw, all right side receiver screws,(except loading gate screw), bottom plate screw and barrel band screws.

On the X series .44 mag, the barrel thread protector would lossen up until I wrapped the threads with yellow teflon tape. So that stays tight now! But what does everyone do with the regular screws on the gun?
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:40 am

Blue loctite.
Only the top screw on the stock tang needs to be removed to swap out the hammer spring.
Remove the hammer spring retainer by placing a lever (butter knife, butcher knife, wood chisel, or wide straight blade screwdriver) under the spring center pin and lift it up to lift the spring retainer out of the lower retention notch. The spring and retainer will then fall out into your hand.

I used a #33101 spring plus 0.024 inches of shims on the front end of the spring to give me an average 2 pound pull.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall. Be careful not to crossthread the stock retention screw. Squeeze the top and bottom tang together by hand as you start the screw.
0 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:24 am

Thank you. Thanks for the hints.
0 x