Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate Retrofit

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Side Gate Retrofit

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am

Has anyone installed a side gate into an H006M .357 Magnum?
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Side Gate Retrofit

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:43 am

I have that rifle but didn't know that was even a possibility?
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 am

JimCunn wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am
Has anyone installed a side gate into an H006M .357 Magnum?
You mean changing receivers :?:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:09 pm

No, I mean milling a new opening into the side of the receiver and installing a gate from a different gun.
However, if swapping to a brass receiver that contained a gate were an option, I would consider that as well.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:19 pm

In case you didn’t notice, the receiver has the serial number and that part is considered to be the actual “gun”, a new one would require a FFL transfer and Henry won’t sell you a receiver! It isn’t the same as the pot metal receiver cover of a rimfire gun, which is purely cosmetic.

A5FD9977-54C4-421A-B203-41F51BC0ED31.jpeg

Cutting holes in your rifle will void the warranty, destroy its resale value, and there is no guarantee you could get it to function correctly anyway! If it is even possible, it would have to be a factory modification. Plus it would cost several hundred dollars at least, plus shipping cost both ways, plus down time…. I suggest that you trade your rifle in on a side gate version. Or just live without the gate. I have a BBX and I never use it at all.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Anything can be done if you have the time,equipment and skills. I was told that the side gate receivers were designed a bit different inside to make clearance for the side gate. I had looked into milling the slot and adding a gate but other parts might be needed or modified.
Now that I have the old and new 45 Colt Henry rifles I might take the levers out of both and take a look....compare.
Milling the slot and attaching the loading gate door is no big deal. If the shape of the hard parts is different then you would have to make new pieces or get them from Henry which they might not do.

On my new 45 X model I use the load gate all the time....it's just natural to do so. For quick unloading I use the tube.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:58 pm

"Cutting holes in your rifle will void the warranty, destroy its resale value"

How is that a factor? In the 70 years I've been shooting, I have never sold a gun. Don't plan to start now.

Seems to me, if the decision is made to install the gate, you simply do the design first, then do the installation. There is no doubt it can be made to function correctly.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Well. if you plan to be buried with your rifle, the mod doesn't matter. But whoever inherits it will be pissed when they can't get full value for it.

I have done some very serious mods to guns over the years, and the ones I sold went at a big loss. Buyers are very suspicious and no gun shop wants a gun that has been home gun-smithed. If you have paperwork for a professional smith, that is very different situation entirely.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:31 pm

I feel that you just resale that rifle and or trade it in on the Kings gate model. There is still a lot of people who like the tube only feed. I have one and really don't mind it. I'm not going to war and if I can't hit what I'm shooting at in 8 rounds then shame on me. So I would just trade it and be safe in not destroying a fine rifle possibly. I too prefer the side gate if available but happy, very happy with mine the way it is.
2 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:59 pm

Interesting. Well, most things are possible. Of course, the warranty will probably be void. But if you have the ability and want it, go for it! People do modify firearms. I remember, the first firearm I that I fired was a sawed off shout gun with a pistol grip. If I remember correctly, it was a double barrel. I did not hold it well. So, the hammer dug in the web of my finger. I was probably about 15 or so. I don't think the man was thinking about resale. He was probably thinking more about usability. It would probably be effective: quick draw, close range. With the way firearms are being track now, it may be an issue though.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).