Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate Retrofit

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Side Gate Retrofit

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:04 pm

Why all the complications? I'm sorry, but, with all due respect, why don't you just buy one with a side gate instead of butchering a nice rifle? If affordability is an issue, then sell the one you have first. Look at what it would cost you for an expert modification as opposed to just buying what you want. Sorry, but I don't get it.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:38 pm

"But whoever inherits it will be pissed when they can't get full value for it.".

Several of my guns have been in the family for four generations now. Several of my books are first editions that are 320 years old and have been in the family for 160. Nobody has sold anything yet, and nobody is P.O.d
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:46 pm

" If affordability is an issue,"

It's not. Which model is identical to the H006M, but also has the loading gate? Provide me the model #, tell me where I can find one, and I'll buy it. I had to make a 6 hour round trip drive from Memphis to get the H006M. I'd do the same to get an identical rifle with a gate added.

Ya'll would hate what I've done to my three Airweight .38Sp 637-2 J-frames ......
Installed .357Mag titanium cylinders to lighten them up some more, reamed them for 9mm, and cut them for moonclips. Make great little pocket carry guns. They aren't for sale either 😉

"Look at what it would cost you for an expert modification"

It pretty much doesn't cost anything except parts. Why would it?
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:18 pm

"or trade it in on the Kings gate model".

Please tell me more about this King's gate model.
I haven't been able to find a listing for it.
I'm assuming it has brass receiver, 20" octagonal barrel, and is .357Mag?
I'm intrigued and would like to know more.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:11 am

Yes, some people are traditionals: if it is not broke, why fix it? And, others like exploring: what if? Me, it depends on the situation. Mostly, I don't fix what is not broken. My moto, to each their own.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:45 am

I say do whatever you want to your firearms. The best part of owning an H001 to me is being able to butcher it and not loose anything. I could not to to a 9422 or 39A what I’ve done to my H001’s without destroying a valuable piece.

I bet I have the only Henry Mares Leg with an octagonal barrel. I started with a $300 pistol, did $1,000 worth of improvements to end up with a $200 firearm.

What I’ve done to my Henrys most people find disturbing and I don’t care. They all function so I think I’m successful.

My next project is to make a pump action Mare’s Leg in .22LR.

So if you want to add s as side gate go for out. It might not be main stream but you are not destroying a piece of history.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:13 am

I agree with that. I don't know how many firearms I have. Not being a collector, I don't bother to count them. Maybe about 20 or 30.
The only two that aren't subject to modification, are my Dad's old style Remington Model 11 from 1913, and my T-series Hi-Power (I swapped a Chief's Special for it and a box of ammo about 1969) though I confess, I did put an extended slide stop on it to compensate for my small hands. And for a lark, it and my Tisas BR9 sport 20 round magazines that I adapted from a Beretta FS92. But nothing that isn't fully reversible.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:41 am

Hey Jim, man I like the way you think sir.
I once bought back in '16 a like new Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., from the mid 70's for $300.
The next year, I stoned the hammer and trigger sears to lower the God awful pull.
Then had a friend chop :o 3.5" off the barrel and magazine. ;)
Makes for a nice woods gun and shoots lights out, took a nice buck with it a year or so later.
Some say I ruined it's value, well I don't plan on selling it, and if a family member wants to sell it later.
Well they won't have xxxx in it and every penny they get will be Profit. ;)
And the friend that did the mod is now no longer among us, and it makes it that much more special to me.

It's yours man do as you wish. ;) You know what they say about opinions, Right? ;) :)
Here it is pictured with the 444P, the P is a factory ported 18.5" barreled rifle.
20220918_094413.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:01 am

I like it.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:11 pm

The most modifications that I have made (more like personalization) are replacing grips and sights. Other than that, my firearms have remained stocked. I don’t plan to sell any. But, I am more of a traditionalist.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).