Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H006M

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: H006M

Post by JimCunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:47 am

Thanks, Jimmie.
My reason for going to the RPP sear was the shorter ledge.

At the moment, I am using a tung oil finish topped off with some Johnson carnuba wax (both chosen because I can easily remove them to use something else).. I am reasonably happy with the new stock and forearm. The originals were so bad I consider them unsuitable for salvage.

I'm only 80, so no arthritis, stiffening up, or joint pain yet. My hair is turning grey, but I can live with that.
Last edited by JimCunn on Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:51 am

"I assume your around the Shelby county area?"

Collierville
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:10 pm

My Christmas present to myself.Uberti 1860 Army in .45 acp to match my 1911 Commander.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:23 pm

JimCunn wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:31 am
Several months ago, I gave my grandson a Golden Boy. I was much impressed with the finish and buttery smooth action, so yesterday I got myself a Big Boy .357 Magnum H006M.

Very disappointing. Stock had a gouge and was also irregularly shaped near a knot. Magazine tube was very rough, and the action was sloppy loose, noisy, and felt like it had sand in it, Trigger was heavy, but OK. Will shoot it this weekend. I am optimistic though. Fancy furniture will take care of the gouge and knot. And I think some shims, Marlin springs, and a few wipes with an Arkansas stone will go a long way toward curing the lousy action. The gun itself is rather attractive.
I would have never brought that rifle home from the store.............Since you did now it falls on you to fix it............Which you shouldn't have to do.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:49 pm

Very nice 1860 the Colt that had a real grip. I didn't know they made them in .45acp.Does it have six chambers or five? I always wondered "what was Colt thinking" when they made the SAA that shot a 250 grain slug with 40 grains of FFG with the little mini mouse 1851 Navy grip.The Army reduced the powder charge in their service loads because of the recoil with the small grip. The army grip to me would have been a smarter choice. I can't shoot mine and hit anything without oversized grips.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:01 pm

Where did you find the Uberti in 45A.C.P. I did a search and came up with posts stating too much pressure for an open top frame.
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:35 am

You can find posts that say pretty much anything. Doesn't make them correct. Kirst thinks its OK. So do I, but Kirst and I may both be wrong. Time will tell.

I bought a stock Uberti 1860 Army and also bought a 5-round .45acp Kirst Converter, then fitted it myself. The Conversion cylinder came with a 5-round hand, but the stock 6-round hand works fine, so I didn't swap it. Timing was drop in. Most tedious part of the installation was grinding and polishing the loading port. Takes about a minute to switch between the two cylinders.

The perceived power when shooting steel with .45acp appears to be greater than with my 1911 Commander, but I haven't chrono'd it yet. Recoil is surprisingly mild, and the gun is far more accurate than I am - though I still need to raise the front sight 1/8" to match POI with POA at 40 feet.

The Army grip is too big to be comfortable for my small hands, so I may put a Navy grip on it. Haven't decided on that yet.
Last edited by JimCunn on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:58 am

"....Since you did now it falls on you to fix it........"

Tru nuff, that. Since I planned to replace the furniture from the get-go, that wasn't an issue. And since I wanted to lighten the trigger, the grittiness and sloppiness weren't an issue either. When you take it apart to install the lighter Marlin springs, you polish the internals and shim it when you reassemble. It is now a delight to shoot, silky smooth and no slop.
0 x

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SWFan27 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:25 pm

JimCunn wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:58 am
"....Since you did now it falls on you to fix it........"

Tru nuff, that. Since I planned to replace the furniture from the get-go, that wasn't an issue. And since I wanted to lighten the trigger, the grittiness and sloppiness weren't an issue either. When you take it apart to install the lighter Marlin springs, you polish the internals and shim it when you reassemble. It is now a delight to shoot, silky smooth and no slop.
I am sorry to hear your H006M had problems. I love mine and when I first brought it home and looked it over closely, I noticed a hairline crack in the forearm wood at the barrel band. I emailed Henry and they wanted me to ship it back to them for repair in order to match the wood. I live in California and shipping firearms is kind of tricky here.

I asked if they could just ship me the replacement new wood forearm piece. They ended up shipping me an upgraded wood forearm and stock set at no cost. I think they were asking $250 on their website for the sets. It shoots like a dream and is as pretty as firearm can be. I am could not be any happier with my purchase and with Henry's customer service.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:09 am

That's a neat 1860. I'm glad to hear shooting it isn't bad.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member