Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H006M

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: H006M

Post by JimCunn » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:49 am

My grandson's Dad asked me a few months ago, if I had a gun that I could give my grandson so he could learn to shoot. I refurbished the action on my 90 year old Winchester model 60A (like the one in the attached photo) that I was given 70 years ago and gave it to him as a starter rifle. Then I added a Golden Boy, an 85% Browning 1911-22, and a Taylor Uberti Model P Jr. All four are .22 caliber.

We've been going out to the farm and alternating shooting sessions with driving up and down the runway, practicing for his learner's permit. I need to rebuild the carburetor on the Piper Cub so he can learn to fly in it like I did 57 years ago. It's been lots of fun doing all that, but his Dad has Covid right now, so I've been laying low - don't want to take that home to my wife.

I'm only 80, so expect a number of fun years with him still to come.
bess.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm

Didn't like the quality of the stocks that came on the rifle, so got another set with much better grain. What is a good polish to make it 'Pop'??

Landing on the return from Bolivar.
Well crap - can't post a movie.....
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 pm

I would have NEVER taken that thing from the store.PERIOD.
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:45 pm

That's why they make Fords and Chevrolets - so we all got a choice 😀
0 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:57 am

No way I’d lighten that trigger. Heavy rifle and super light trigger is a recipe for a ND. Under 3lbs is plenty light enough in my book. I’d be interested in some pictures. None of mine have had loose actions. Most of the time, they are so tight I have to oil the crap out of them and shoot a few tubes of ammo through them to get them cycling well. I wouldn’t have been happy about the gouge in the stock. Idk that a knot would have bothered me long as it was a tight knot. Again, pictures are good.
0 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 am

Stock didn't bother me because I was planning to replace it with a fancy stock anyway, just as I did with the Golden Boy.

I can tighten and smooth the action to some extent by shimming and stoning it, but it will never have the buttery smooth feel that the Golden Boy has.

I like light triggers and intend to take this one down from three pounds to just over two.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:14 am

JimCunn wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Didn't like the quality of the stocks that came on the rifle, so got another set with much better grain. What is a good polish to make it 'Pop'??

Landing on the return from Bolivar.
Well crap - can't post a movie.....
Nope not on this site :oops: unless you upload to you tube. :roll:
Then you can. Yeah it's a Pain.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:32 am

Wasn't that good a movie....
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:52 am

RPP sear and return spring are arriving today.
Will install and shim trigger tonight in an effort to reduce creep. Have already shimmed lever and installed 33101 hammer spring.
Trigger is currently 2.0 pounds with moderate creep. No light strikes.
Will report back tomorrow.
I'm starting to like this rifle.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:59 am

Jim, as far as stock finishing goes, it will depend on what you like, and how much you like the existing color/grain combo of the new lumber.

If your new stock is walnut, a "darker" wood, try Tru-Oil by Birchwood-Casey. It really highlights nice grain, and makes it "pop", as they say. It's a fairly tough and durable finish, and after it's cured, can be lightly scuffed with grey colored (very fine) ScotchBrite if the sheen is too glossy for your taste, then buffed with an old t-shirt or something. MinWax Wipe On polyurethane is very similar to the Tru-Oil, and comes in a variety of sheens. Both require VERY LIGHT coats with ample drying time in between the coats. How many coats is determined by what level of gloss you like. More coats generally equal a higher gloss.

For water based finishes, which to me seem to be a bit more durable and somewhat tougher than most oil-based polys, my wife (for antique & vintage furniture) & I (for guitars) tend to use General Finishes brand "High Performance" poly. Really nice stuff to work with, comes in quarts (more affordable), has a good variety of sheens (flat, gloss, & etc.), applies nicely, and holds up well. It doesn't yellow the wood's color on lighter woods like oil-based polys can tend to do. On a dark wood like walnut, that's pretty much a non-issue.

Sorry for being kinda off topic here.

Back ON topic, The RPP sear and return spring I put in my H009 lightened the pull by about a 1/2 lb.. I have an old spring/manual Williams trigger pull scale, and it showed that my rifle's trigger used to break at an average of just above 3.5 lbs.. With just the RPP parts, it now shows an average of 3 lbs. flat, and sometimes a tiny amount under that. I have the same Wolff reduced power hammer spring you have, but haven't put it in yet. Don't really feel the need to. The RPP sear engagement "ledge" is approximately .015" shorter than my Henry sear's ledge, probably flatter as well. The slight wear pattern on my Henry sear was just on one side of the ledge, and possibly why the pull was only 3.5 lbs. or so. I'm bettin' I have a fully engaged ledge surface with the RPP stuff, but that ledge is shorter, and the sear return spring lighter. I notice no creep, but I'm not much of a Trigger Snob, hee hee. My old arthritic fingers just aren't that accurate at assessing that sorta deal anymore.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO