Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Action/TriggerJob" on HBB

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

"Action/TriggerJob" on HBB

Post by Bill.68 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:57 pm

Completely disassembled the BB Saturday night to hopefully improve the action a bit. It worked.

While I don't have a trigger pull gauge Id have to say that pull was in the 9lb range, crisp-ish, but darn heavy with a bit of pretravel to it. I took it all the way down and took the trigger mech apart and with the.........dremel.........and..........Flitz (no flames please) I polished every metal-to-metal contact I could find after playing with it a while and watching how all the parts interacted. Its actually very simple. I polished parts on the hammer as well.
Once done I used some of the TriggerShims on the trigger., hammer and lever and used the lighter Marlin spring.
Henry had already lapped the bolt to the receiver and did a fine job of it.so that worked smoothly and along with what I did I have to say that a Henry can be made to be quite smooth and slick, and with about a 6lb trigger. Now yes, Im guessing but thats about what it feels like but still not a super clean break and still has the pretravel. Much more tolerable than before though.
With the light spring I had no failures with either Federal or the CCI primers I used Sunday, about 300cci and 100 federal magnums so I feel good about that.
Did the TriggerShims help? I dont know because I didnt test those seperately but I doubt they arent playing a part, definitely didnt hurt and certainly made the trigher and lever feel much better.
2 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: "Action/TriggerJob" on HBB

Post by leverjc » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:13 pm

Glad you jumped in and improved your trigger. I have done trigger improvement work on two Big Boys. I am a trigger snob and had thoughts of using my Big Boy for Lever Silhouette so i worked on it tell it was just a little over 2lbs. I never was to remove all the over travel but I am satisfied with the way it is.
0 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:59 pm

How, pray tell, did you get to 2lbs with that trigger? I am genuinely interested. I too am a trigger snob of the worst persuasion and at fjrst just resigned myself to the fact that hey, its just a plinking lever gun but pretty quickly it got to me and I had to act.
I detailed my course of action thus far above, what else do you suggest?
Dont get me wrong, there was vast improvements made in jist what I did but its far from a match quality single stage trigger.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 am

I had to do a lot of work on the sear and hammer engagement areas. They are both mim parts that are some what warped and are not machined. They need to be flattened and polished. I had to make a special tool out of a thickest feeler gauge I had that I cut to fit then glued some 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper to so it would fit into the opening of the hammer. Then I used a small flat stone to polish the sear area, other tools you will need is an opti visor or mounted magnifying glass and a magic marker. I go sloooow and became an expert at assembly and disassembly. Big boy triggers take me a lot of time because I have to do the whole thing by hand as I couldn't figure out how to make a jig for it.

If you decide to try trigger improvement on your Big Boy give me a PM and I can give you more detailed steps that I used.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:03 pm

congrats on being able to fine tune your Henry's trigger .... if you ask Henry they will tell you the trigger pull isn't designed to be modified .... I didn't have the nerve to personally mess with the ones on our BBS 44 Mag or CCH 45-70 .... my solution was to pay a very talented gunsmith to do it .... for liability reasons, many gunsmiths won't undertake the process .... he told me that doing so is as much art as science .... we are pleased with both of ours
1 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:28 pm

Well, I think that I will buy an extra sear and trigger from Henry and have at it. If I make a mess of things, I will re-install the original parts. Glad to hear you were successful in reducing the pull weight.
1 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:00 pm

leverjc wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 am
I had to do a lot of work on the sear and hammer engagement areas. They are both mim parts that are some what warped and are not machined. They need to be flattened and polished. I had to make a special tool out of a thickest feeler gauge I had that I cut to fit then glued some 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper to so it would fit into the opening of the hammer. Then I used a small flat stone to polish the sear area, other tools you will need is an opti visor or mounted magnifying glass and a magic marker. I go sloooow and became an expert at assembly and disassembly. Big boy triggers take me a lot of time because I have to do the whole thing by hand as I couldn't figure out how to make a jig for it.

If you decide to try trigger improvement on your Big Boy give me a PM and I can give you more detailed steps that I used.
I may bery well take you up on that offer. Before I gettin all crazy though Im going to have to get a rail and scope and putbit on the BB and see if the thus far accuracy issues are my aging eyes/open sights combo or if its just the barrel and its potholed interior surfaces or if its the fact that it just wont shoot. I need to rule a few things out before I get knee-deep in sear hooks and waterstones.

I do have the PowerCustom jig with adapters for S&W J K,L and N frame revolvers, ruger 10/22, Ruger blackhawks and Ruger redhawks and Ive done trigger jobs on all of those firearms and let me tell you what, that thing works, and thats part of whats making the Henry look so bad, Im comparing it to all of my other guns, which arent.
Mine is the series 1 jig but Im guessing if the possibility exists if Mr. Powers having an adapter for a Henry it would be in the series 2 jig. I may have to look myself, or inquire about the possibility of him making one. Henry is a pretty popular firearm these days. And, he does have adapters for some rather obscure firearms. Wont hurt to ask.
0 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:06 pm

Yall have to bear in mind that I didnt modify or change anything, I just lightly smoothed metal to metal contact surfaces. Well, I guess the spring counts as a change technically, but that certainly is reversible. I learned long ago that smoothing metal to metal points can on its own make a huge difference. Im talking about smoothing not removing metal. Alot of times there will still be tool marks in whatever part but theyre smooth and that and ALG 0000 light grease can do wonders.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:14 pm

Pennsyvaniepete, I think you have a good Idea about getting the new parts "just in case". Another tip I used was to put the trigger and hammer outside of the gun then hold it up to a light to see where what type of contact there is between the sear and the hammer. Use a glass with good magnification when you do.
0 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:03 pm

I did the same smoothing on my BBS trigger & sear, smooth as a fat baby's butt, used some hBN in 1/2 micron mixed with light gun grease, super slick. Hexagonal boron nitrite (hBN) is more slippery than teflon and at 1/2 micron it fills the pores in the metal for a super smooth LIGHT pull, got it down to a little less than 3 1/2lb pull. :D One thing I did notice was as I reassembled my rifle, I installed the stock but didn't install the tang screw, pulled the hammer and the stock moved. An interference fit, (great Henry quality?) :roll: did some work on the inner stock got rid of the interference. I also reduced my springs, took a half turn off the little spring in the trigger assy. and a turn off the hammer spring. Very smooth with no creep, had very little creep to begin with. The lightest trigger pull I have is on my Uberti El Patron, from the factory with a 1 1/5lb pull as measured. Have to be careful with that light pull. :o
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government