Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Accuracy Expectations with .357 Big Boy Steel

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Accuracy Expectations with .357 Big Boy Steel

Post by rickhem » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:03 am

New member making my first post here. I checked the forums and didn't find anything specific to my question, so here goes.

Having always wanted to own a lever rifle in .357, I was happy to find one, a Henry, at my local shop. To my surprise, it already had a Skinner peep mounted on it. A week later, I was the proud owner of a Henry Big Boy Steel .357 with a 20 inch barrel and a loading gate. The rifle looks good, feels good, and shoulders quickly. As a Service Rifle competitor, I really like the sight picture with the peep too.

Took the rifle out in my yard and spent a little time shooting some .38 HBWC ammo I load for Bullseye Pistol. First observation was that the Skinner peep could not be adjusted low enough for impacts to match point-of-aim at 25 yards. Everything hit way high. Figured it might be the ammo, as lighter loads frequently hit higher in revolvers, but that's all I shot that first day. It grouped around 3 inches though, which was not what I expected, I felt it should do better. Granted, 2.7 grains of Bullseye is a light load, but it's accurate as heck in everything else I own. Now my choice was whether to buy the higher front sight from Skinner, or go with a base for an optic sight. I decided the optic sight was the best choice.

So I ordered the Picatinny style base for my rifle, and mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 dot sight. Picked that one because it has the smallest dot, supposedly 2 MOA. I really don't like that the cheek weld I had with the peep was now more of a chin weld since the sight sits much higher, but it's the hits that count. I also loaded up some loads with .357 brass and used both 158 round nose lead and semi wadcutter bullets that I had for Distinguished Revolver matches. Only took a couple shots to get sighted in, and the rifle cycled these cartridges much better than the wadcutters, but again, groups were around 3 inches at 25 yards. Not happy with that at all.

Finally, I decided to try a scope, and bought a Bushnell Prime 1-4 x 32 for this specific rifle. Mounted it in a set of weaver rings, and now the sight line is even higher, but the sight picture is bright and clear. I also bought a box of Fiocchi .357 factory loads, with 142 grain FMJTC bullets, to make sure that the lead bullets weren't the issue. Unfortunately, I'm still not getting acceptable results, with groups still running at 3 inches at 25 yards, and well over 6 inches at 50.

I've checked the mounts for the scope and everything is tight. The crown on the rifle looks and feels good, and running a Q-tip on the crown is not showing any rough spots. There is a little play in the forearm wood, maybe a sixteenth at the rear near the receiver, but I've heard that is desirable for these rifles. I don't expect this rifle to shoot MOA, but now I'm looking at over 10 MOA, and that is with three different sighting configurations, and that's not what I expected at all. For reference, all shooting for groups is done using either a Caldwell Stinger, or off a front rest, owl ear bag, and bunny ear bag rear rest. The rifle is rock-solid using either.

So reading through all the threads here, I see phrases like "shoots sweet", or "nice groups", and similar non-quantitative comments, but little with actual group sizes. I've seen a few claim groups of about 3 inches at 100 yards, which I'd be elated to achieve, but I don't really know if that is realistic or not. I'm not a new shooter, and know that I have good and bad days, but I can pick up the 1022 I built back in the early 90s and shoot 10 shots inside a 1 inch paster at 50 yards without issue, and can still hit half the rams at 100 meters standing.

For those that do actual measurements, what group sizes do you get at specific distances with these rifles?
And apologies for the long-winded explanation for how I got to where I'm at.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Accuracy Expectations with .357 Big Boy Steel

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:31 am

Just my two cents worth. Try using a 158 gr bullet at minimum. I use Nosler bullets handloaded with 15.3 gr of W296. Underwood makes a great ammo as well: https://underwoodammo.com/357-magnum-15 ... low-point/
Let me also state I don't own a Henry .357. Mine is a Winchester 1892. The only Henry I have is the .327 Federal Mag. and both have had trigger work done as they tend to be fairly heavy from the factory.
Jake
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:39 am

I've noticed with my big boy x, plated and jacketed ammo do considerably better. Also, work up your loads. I've noticed a range of groupings based on velocity.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:51 am

Hey RickHem, I can understand your concern. I have a Marlin .357, not a Henry. So, I cannot offer a exact comparison. I have not tried a scope yet, and probably will not. It has a peep sight for now. But, I seem to get about 1 1/4" group at 50 yards, which is okay with me. I shot two groups. The first one was all over the place, probably me. The second one was better. So, I called it a day. I was shooting .357 158 grain from a bench. Below are my shots:
IMG_20220822_113303027_HDR~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 pm

Thanks GFK, I'd be very happy with sub 2" groups at 50.
My question is more towards hearing if others have seen the same results that you have. Looking for numbers from others, are you getting 2 inch groups or 4 inch groups, as the only way to improve something is to measure it, and then you know if your changes are an improvement or not. I don't want to throw a lot of time and components at this if all I can expect is what I've been getting, and what I've been getting is worse than a smoothbore shotgun will do with slugs.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:37 pm

Understood. Another member had a concern about his .44 mag, a while back. Below is the post with links about rifle accuracy. If you are not satisfied with the way your rifle is performing, reach out to Henry. A few people have sent their rifle back, due to accuracy. I think a couple were satisfied with the results.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13445
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:17 pm

My Henry Big Boy Steel .357 shoots lights out. This is six shot group at 50 yards bagged on a bench shooting thru a 7x Rimfire Leupold Freedom scope. This is common with my rifle. The load is 12.4 of Win 296, Hornady 158 gr JHP and a CCI sm pistol mag primer. As you mentioned when scoping a Henry the cheek weld becomes a chin weld so I use a strap on cheek riser. I’ll come back with a link to the one I use. I like the rimfire scope as it is parallax adjusted to 60 yards which is a good distance for this caliber.

Here’s an Amazon link for the cheek riser.

https://www.amazon.com/TOURBON-Hunting- ... 32&sr=8-23

EDF4E491-089B-4877-8437-BE829C21D954.jpeg
2ED441C3-4839-4E4A-AC55-986D3FFCAB2C.jpeg
CEEE9547-7CD6-4A3C-8EB7-9031E88E4916.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Thanks Hatchdog. That is a fantastic group.
Part of me is happy that there is possibility with these rifles, but I'm still a bit skeptical that my rifle will get there. If mine can't shoot a knot with wadcutters at 25 yards, something must be wrong.
I'll have to get some of those 158XTPs. And also see what I have left from the hunter pistol silhouette days, I think I have 170 and 180 bullets. I've had good luck with the XTPs in .44 and .45LC in revolvers.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Hey Rick, my 357 lever gun is a Rossi, but I know a few guys and a couple members here that use this load.
A 180gr. Pugnose bullet from Missouri bullet co., over 11.4 grs of 2400.
She shoots a little high at 50 yds., but if I do my part I usually get some good groups.
This was a few minutes ago off the deck at 50, my eyes are a little fuzzy from staring at the computer most of the day.
But 4 out 6 didn't do bad.
20220822_140544.jpg

This will ring the 8" plate at 100 yds. with ease.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:36 pm

My 357 is a marlin. best group I have 5 shot at 100y was under 3/4" realistically with jacketed loads it likes a bit under 2" is what I would class as its average accuracy. Cast a bit bigger at around 3".

Last henry I did a little load development for was sons 44mag. It is fairly typical of my experience with cast in lever actions.
210gr tested at 25y initial groups were over 2" yet ended up with groups under 1/2" with 2 powders.
310gr were tested at 50y again initial groups were around 6" but again with nothing more than a variation in powder weight got them shooting under 2"
In my experience the window for cast to shoot well can be quite small and can take a little load testing to find, Sometimes for what ever reason a bullet wont shoot with a particular powder and you may need to try another. Very occasionally a particular bullet just refuses to shoot in certain rifles. I have a few 38/357 loads that will put 10 shots into almost 1" from my revolver at 25y but miss a 4" gong more often than not from my rifle at 50y. Just because a load has shot well isnt a guarantee it will in a different firearm.

If you can zoom in this picture shows the initial 44mag test groups and how much difference even a small powder charge weight can make.
2 x