Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Steel Recoil 44mag

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Steel Recoil 44mag

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:59 pm

Pennsylvaniapete is having less than stellar results with my .44 Mag, X Series. I am using Federal 240gn JHP and can’t get any better than a 6 in. spread at 50 yds. That’s with a scope and Caldwell front and rear rests. I am very disappointed. I see a lot of comments about the bad accuracy of the .44 magnums. Am I being to critical? I don’t have problems like this with my BB .357
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:33 pm

I can't speak for the X series but I can for the BBS series .... I have no reason to doubt that the X would be any more or less accurate that the standard blued version .... keeping in mind that these rifles are hunters, not long range precision target rifles .... the targets below were fired with our 240 g Nosler JHP loads .... they were fired at different times but both from a bench, using a sandbag rest, a good Nikon scope, at an inside range under really good conditions .... the first shows 50 rounds fired at 50 yards .... all were within a group a little over 2" wide and 4" high .... the second shows 100 rounds at 100 yards .... all are within a group about 3" wide and 3" high .... I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of tighter groups and also have no doubt that is about as good as I can get .... the only mod I've made to my rifle is having a really good gunsmith hone the trigger components and I'm sure that helped my shooting but didn't do anything to change the rifle's innate accuracy .... I have other rifles that cost a heck of a lot more and have had far more upgrades that fire smaller groups .... for a lever action hunter, the groups shown below are fine with me for big game hinting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply…..that is the difference between night and day…..compared to my results.
0 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:51 pm

Did you read my post about the screw’s loosing up. I don’t want to use loc-tite on any of them….so how do you keep them tight? I now make pencil marks aligned with the screw slots so I can check them periodically.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:22 pm

pennsylvaniapete wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:51 pm
so how do you keep them tight?
we use Purple Loctite .... its designed for use with small screws .... the screws hold but can easily be removed without messing up the screwdriver slots or threads
0 x

Warlock
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Warlock » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:39 am

I used bee'swax on small xcrews in place of loctite. The wax is sticky but won't need any heat to remove.
0 x
You only think you're alone.

tacamo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tacamo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:48 pm

I shoot basically the same load as BB.68 out of my Model X .44 and don't really feel that it is particularly harsh...that being said, the first time I took it out to verify/set-up the sights, it backed every screw on the rifle out. Had a good session with blue loctite following that experience.
1 x