Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Steel Recoil 44mag

alank2
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Big Boy Steel Recoil 44mag

Post by alank2 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 am

I once had an 1894 and its weight (I think it was just around 6 pounds) combined with the 44mag just wasn't all that pleasant to shoot. I know one can shoot 44 specials in these usually, but I'd like one that can shoot 44mag and not pound on the shoulder too much.

My question is, are the big boy steel any better in this regard in 44mag? It seems like the non carbine is a little heavier since it is longer at 7 pounds, but the carbine says it is 6.58 pounds.

On some YouTube videos it looks like a small push that is hardly anything, but on others it is much stronger. Maybe that is an ammo selection thing, but I think they are using 240gr 44mag in some of them that didn't look too hard so I'm trying to figure it out before buying one.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Steel Recoil 44mag

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:29 am

first, welcome to our forum ..... do hope you will read and post often .... our Henry BBS 44 Mag rifle is literally fun to fire with hunting level ammo .... recoil is minimal, as you note, more of a push .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p204503
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am

Had a friend years and years ago who had an 1894 in 44 mag.
Like you the light weight of it seemed to recoil quite a bit.

Now my Henry BBB 44 mag. with the extra weight of the octagon barrel, I Love octagon barrels. ;)
Doesn't seem to be bad a all no matter what I shoot through it.
I have a 41 mag. in the steel version, and even shooting it with some Heavy 270 gr. cast it's a pleasure to shoot.

Hope that helps a little.

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 am

There are a few on the forum that own a .44 mag rifle or carbine. I am not one. I have a 1894CS .357 mag. If a .44 mag may be more than you want to deal with, have you considered a .357 mag? Will it be used for hunting, self-defense or target practice? Why .44 mag? It probably is a fine caliber for hunting. But, I probably would not want one in a handgun. If pounding is a concern, have you considered a slip-on recoil pad?
Last edited by GFK on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:40 am

I went from a steel carbine in .357 to the same BBSC in .44 Mag. There is definitely more recoil than the .357 Mag, but it’s still not bad. My Ruger .44 carbine was worse (or seemed like it), even with it being a semi auto. OP, if you are concerned, get one in brass or CCH as both come with octagon barrels and that will help significantly.
3 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 am

welcome to the forum. I do not own anything in 44 mag but I have a Ubert 92 in 45 colt with an octagon barrel a that is still very light and with stiff loads the recoil can bother me but Henry's are somewhat heavier and should be some what easier on the shoulder.
1 x

alank2
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by alank2 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone; I should have mentioned that I've got a couple of handguns in 44mag so that is the reason for the 44mag. I really like the cartridge, and I can hand load so I can choose the power level. It seems to be more of a fit issue or maybe I just don't like my shoulder pounded on because the two handguns aren't particularly oppressive (ruger alaskan/desert eagle) although they deliver some recoil as well with full power loads. I don't know what it was with the 1894, it just wasn't that fun to shoot even with lower power loads, so I'm looking for something with a little more weight to tame that a bit. I don't usually hunt so it will mostly be for range fun.
2 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:59 am

I would not think the little bit of difference in the weight of the rifles would make that much of a difference if the recoil is bothering you that bad. It is kind of like, it is what it is (nature of the beast). If it were me I would add a shotgun style butt pad to the stock replacing the current butt pad or plate. My Marlin 189444CB has a plate not a pad, I would think a pad should take care of your problem. Just take your time fitting it.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:36 am

I think the key to shooting ANY firearm, in this case long guns, is your interface with it. The 44magnum, especially factory ammo, should not in any way be hurting you when fired from a 6 or 7 pound firearm.

Your shooting position wasnt stated in your OP I dont think, are you standing? Sitting at a bench? If youre shooting from a bench that would be the most "punishing" to the shoulder. The key to that, as with any longarm shooting is to have your body square to the target , as square as possible anyway and to place any recoil pad over on the pectoral muscle. Believe me, you will be much more comfortable. This can be done from a bench but is more easily done standing and is even more rewarding in that position. Then you hands, what are they doing? Are they pulling the firearm into the body tight? They should be. Do you have a slight forward stance? You should, with feet spread out slightly and weight forward. Body mechanics plays a major role in shooting well.
Ill shoot 300 or 300 rounds of 44mag at the range and Im am never think that "hey, this hurts" and I shoot sanding and from a bench. Oh, my staple load is 23.8gr of H110 and a 240gr XTP, not a puff load by anyone's measure . I only download cast bullets.
Shooting big bore firearms is not difficult or painful with decent technique. If you watch where youre placing the buttstock youll be ok, and happier.
0 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

alank2
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by alank2 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am

It didn't seem to make much difference with the 1894. I sent its stock off to put a limbsaver on it and that also didn't make much difference.

Some of this may just be the expectation or thing I want. I began with an 1895 in 45/70 and I could do heavy rounds in it, but sure didn't want to shoot more than a few. Then I discovered the gmdr.com and some of their much lighter pistol power loads and I loved the way they felt. Just a small pop, they were so enjoyable to shoot. I ended up thinking that I didn't want such a small amount of powder in such a huge case and decided to try the 1894, but even with 44 special it just wasn't quite the same.

Bill.68 you could be right on that I may not be using the right form; thanks for the detailed description as that is something I can try and see how it does. Maybe it is just a fit issue I need to work on.
1 x