Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45-70 laser boresighter?

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

45-70 laser boresighter?

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 pm

Has anyone ever used a boresighter on a 45-70? If so, what model? I know the old fashioned method and I have tried it, but I’m just wondering if there are other options. I haven’t seen any products specifically for 45-70 and I don’t know if the generic ones are worth it.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 45-70 laser boresighter?

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:17 am

I used a BSA Bore Sighter (model BS30) with my 30-30. It includes studs from .177 caliber to .50 caliber. At best, it got me on paper. But, I was still getting on paper at 25 yards, which is the range that I stated zeroing from. So, no real help. However, the scope came mounted on the rifle from the manufacturer. So, it was probably already bore sighted. In addition, the stud did not fit as snugly in the bore as I would like. I guess that could be a good thing. Being that, it may help in not damaging the riffling. Yet, the bore sight could get off centered. There are other types out there. One that comes to mind is a cartridge type, which fits in the chamber. That may be a better way to go. However, I think it requires a target being placed on a wall. But, it may give a truer reading. I have only used mine once. I don't think that I shot less ammo in zeroing it. Nonetheless, it may come in handy, if I mount a scope to another rifle or get a different scope.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:38 pm

Bought and used a laser bore sighter on my bbs 45 colt, worked great for me. Sighted it in @ 35yds with the laser, off 2" @ 40yds at the range, not too bad for an old pole. Tricks I used:
1) I super glued the screw to the proper insert, that way you can tighten & loosen it easily to get a snug fit. (Just turn the laser)
2) Set a target of some kind @ about 30yds, put the rifle in a secure mount, put the laser beam on the target, without moving the rifle rotate the laser 90* see if the laser dot moves from original position, if so, many models have adjustment screws to center laser (had to adjust mine). Use very slight adjustments on the screws, depending on distance, an adjustment of .040" rotation could mean a 2" move, try just snuggin a screw a little.
'
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:51 pm

here is a link to a thread about the one we use ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ter#p89802 .... my last post in the thread pretty well sums it up
0 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:02 am

Check out Sitelite, I have the SL-500 and have had good experiences with it on my 45-70; .50 muzzleloaders too. The green laser is easier to see outdoors.
0 x
Jeff

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:45 am

I see no reason to buy a laser when the old method of squinting down the barrel works so well. At least with large bores, I think a small caliber is a whole lot harder, but doable. I have done .22s a bunch of times. And obviously this doesn’t work for some action types…

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:54 am

I have never been too excited about the laser zeroing technique. You must remember that the bullet travels in an ark and the laser light travels in a straight line. The laser only will help you establish the near ZERO, and it might help establish windage "only" for the second or far ZERO. . . .
0 x