Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Holosun green dot

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Holosun green dot

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Good morning!
I took my new All Weather 45-70 to the range yesterday. I wanted to get my new XS peep sight dialed in and try a Holosun green dot (510c). I had an absolutely terrible time with the peep sight. I tried boresighting it first then ran some rounds but through the rifle. I couldn’t even get it on the paper at 25 yards. Humbling. Disappointing.

I had a limited amount of ammo so I put the peep sights on hold and mounted the green dot. A couple of wide shots, a few very easy adjustments, and then I was getting very accurate shots. It was a blast. The green reticle was really easy to see. I shot Grizzly “low recoil” and Hornady 325gr rounds. The Hornady rounds were way more accurate which I suppose is to be expected.

I was hoping someone could chime in who has used one of these Holosun sights on a large bore rifle. How do they hold up?
1 x

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Holosun green dot

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Here’s a pic…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Just curious, any idea where the peep sight was shooting?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:36 pm

I haven't used that brand/model of red dot on a big bore rifle, but I have used other brands of red dots and my experience has been very good as far as red dots in general holding up to recoil. Have also used red dots in lieu of scopes on hard kicking springer air guns when I was having issues with the scope and mount moving during recoil. I think red dots are much less susceptible to recoil forces because of their low weight.
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:57 pm

When I zero my sights in for the first time, I will shoot off a sandbag and I will shoot at five yards. This will help me get the windage corrected quickly, and I will start adjusting elevation after moving to 25 to 50 yards.
3 x

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:01 pm
Just curious, any idea where the peep sight was shooting?
China maybe? Honestly I couldn’t figure it out. I tried shooting intentionally wide to see if it would show up on the target somewhere but I wasn’t successful.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:27 am

The most common problem adding a peep sight with a high profile to a lever gun that came with open sights is that the gun will shoot high, sometimes way high, because the peep is sitting up much higher over the bore than the factory open sight. The factory supplied front sight is designed to work with the lower over the bore factory open sight. The fix is to change to a higher front sight. Skinner would be a good source for those.
2 x

Mr Twister
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mr Twister » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:00 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:27 am
The most common problem adding a peep sight with a high profile to a lever gun that came with open sights is that the gun will shoot high, sometimes way high, because the peep is sitting up much higher over the bore than the factory open sight. The factory supplied front sight is designed to work with the lower over the bore factory open sight. The fix is to change to a higher front sight. Skinner would be a good source for those.
I just dealt with this issue after adding a Skinner peep on my X Model 357, it was shooting above my target so I bought the Skinner Front sight. After adding front sight it was shooting low so I filed front sight down and now I'm hiting bullseye at 50 yards.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:53 pm

Thanks NCG. That is what I was wondering about. I had the same issue.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:01 pm

Glad to help. The only peep I've been able to use with the factory front sight on a lever gun is the side mounted Williams. The side of the receiver, though, has to be drilled and tapped with two holes.
0 x