Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New member - recoil pad question

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New member - recoil pad question

Post by Marinus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 am

Hello! New member here. I’m Ian from Alaska.
I just picked up my first lever action rifle. It’s the Henry All Weather 45-70. I love it, but when I put a few 420 grain +P rounds through it, I realized I couldn’t even practice with it effectively with those higher loads. I have found lighter loads to shoot with but I’d like to be able to practice with the big ones from time to time. So here’s my question: has anyone replaced the butt pad with something better, and if so, what did you use?
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: New member - recoil pad question

Post by Cofisher » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:07 pm

Hey Ian. Welcome from Nebraska. Yeah, I noticed the 45-70 would do with a better butt pad. Good luck.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you on the 45-70 question but I am sure someone will.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:08 am

you might be able to find a thicker buttpad. But then you have to fit it to the rifle and make the LOP longer also. That is unless you cut the stock down.

Really is kind of the nature of the beast, 45/70 will let you know it's there and in Alaska LOP will come into the mix with the thicker coats.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am

I would get a recoil pad to wear on my shoulder. There are many choices available on Amazon. That way it could even be worn over a shirt or under a jacket and probably not affect yor LOP.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:33 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am
I would get a recoil pad to wear on my shoulder. There are many choices available on Amazon. That way it could even be worn over a shirt or under a jacket and probably not affect yor LOP.
“What he said” and welcome from Dacotah!
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:59 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join our community .... your assessment of the recoil from your 45-70 is dead on the money .... ours is shown below .... to help in the reduction of felt recoil we had a gunsmith replace the OEM recoil pad with a top of the line Kick-eez recoil pad and install a 4" Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock .... in addition we set it to Mag-na-port https://magnaport.com/rifle.html and had it ported .... note this is not their Mag-na-brake process .... this combination of upgrades did reduce our rifle's felt recoil but it far from eliminated it .... by far the greatest reduction comes from firing Cowboy Action level ammo .... doing so allow me to practice the mechanics without taking the punishment .... after all, I haven't found a need for dangerous game level ammo when punching holes in paper targets or ringing a gong .... be sure to follow the link below to where you may add your Henry to our total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 74#p203774
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm

Hey welcome! 45-70 is my favorite rifle! Here's a few ideas that might help...
Those 420 bear loads are hard hitting! The energy is amazing! But we pay for it lol
It's a light lever gun so the kick is harder. Wish they had the octagon barrel in this version.
I have a 6 cartridge leather holder on the butt and the extra ammo weight helps a little bit.
Also position and stance it like a 12 gauge. Taking off your shoulder as much as possible helped me a lot.
When bear rounds are used I fold up a hoodie and place it on my shoulder to help.
I also know now after many bruises NOT to bench fire that load sitting down. This light resting hold allows that cannon to kick back ferociously. Standing helped so much.
Standing and leaning gives me some decent groupings and takes the bite out quite a bit.
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm

Hey jim! I recognize that rifle. Even with your mods, it left an impression on me. Lol.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:38 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm
Hey jim! I recognize that rifle. Even with your mods, it left an impression on me. Lol.
its a very consistent rifle in more ways than one .... example: it has left much the same impression on everyone who has fired it ;)
1 x