Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New member - recoil pad question

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New member - recoil pad question

Post by PBSnooker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm

I use Pachmayr decelerator slip on pads to lengthen the length of pull, but it also cushions better than factory pads.
2 x

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:26 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm
Hey welcome! 45-70 is my favorite rifle! Here's a few ideas that might help...
Those 420 bear loads are hard hitting! The energy is amazing! But we pay for it lol
It's a light lever gun so the kick is harder. Wish they had the octagon barrel in this version.
I have a 6 cartridge leather holder on the butt and the extra ammo weight helps a little bit.
Also position and stance it like a 12 gauge. Taking off your shoulder as much as possible helped me a lot.
When bear rounds are used I fold up a hoodie and place it on my shoulder to help.
I also know now after many bruises NOT to bench fire that load sitting down. This light resting hold allows that cannon to kick back ferociously. Standing helped so much.
Standing and leaning gives me some decent groupings and takes the bite out quite a bit.
That’s exactly what I was doing - sitting down at the bench. I’ll have to try standing. That’s more representative of a situation that could occur in the field anyhow. I know I can’t eliminate recoil, but I hope to be able to practice with the bear rounds, as that’s really why I bought the rifle to begin with. I might inquire with a gunsmith what it would cost to put a better pad on.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm

PAST strap on pad is your friend.
1 x