Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Light mount for my Henry X Model with wood stock....

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Light mount for my Henry X Model with wood stock....

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm

When you swap to the nice wood stock and front grip on the X model you do lose the front light mount rail option and I wanted to have that
for security use. So went to work in the shop and went one notch better!
With a bottom mount light the target field is lit up but what about seeing the front sight in dark conditions?

So came up with my own style mount that places the light, my Streamlight, on the lower left side of the barrel. From some test I did this
puts just the right amount of light onto the factory green fiber optic front sight while lighting up the target area down range.
The front sight jumps right out into view in dark conditions in the rear sight notch while seeing target view.

For the mount I just cut off the accessory rail from the Henry plastic X grip did some custom machine work and mounted it to a black
stainless band clamp which clamps to the magazine tube. The mount can easily be removed if needed and keeps the light tucked in close and adds little weight to front of rifle.

Think it now has the right amount of "Western Tactical" for all around use now! Makes a fine lever rifle option for home/ranch use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Light mount for my Henry X Model with wood stock....

Post by John E Davies » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Neat job, but that huge shadow would drive me nuts. I use the plastic BB X rail mount and it doesn't do that, nor does the light on my CZ P10F carry pistol. I don't believe that you need to see the front sight at all in these conditions, dark and short range, just put the center of the hot spot slightly low at center of mass and shoot. A tactical light needs that hotspot, that is your aiming point. OTH I don't have a suppressor mounted, that is going to create a shadow too....

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm
Neat job, but that huge shadow would drive me nuts. I use the plastic BB X rail mount and it doesn't do that, nor does the light on my CZ P10F carry pistol. I don't believe that you need to see the front sight at all in these conditions, dark and short range, just put the center of the hot spot slightly low at center of mass and shoot. A tactical light needs that hotspot, that is your aiming point. OTH I don't have a suppressor mounted, that is going to create a shadow too....

John Davies
Spokane WA
That close up shot did magnify the shadow but isn't that bad in an open space.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:25 am

How many feet back before the shadow becomes less obvious?

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:33 am

About 20 feet. Area is bright and clear in front of you with shadow off to far right and the sight bead is right there on target glowing green.
I like it if I want to use that setup for night duty. Normally the Streamlight is mounted on my 20 ga. Shockwave as a side mount also but no shadow being near end of barrel. Of course the light easily detaches and so does the mount. Hey on a cloudy day at the range turn the light on to light up the fiber optic! :)

I think the mount turned out nice at the cost of one black band clamp. I like doing this stuff!
1 x