Live round stuck in the loading gate!

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Live round stuck in the loading gate!

Post by Retlawman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm

roundstuck.jpg
Hi,

I had left my Henry BB Carbine loaded for a few weeks and I decided to unload it since I don't know when I'll be able to get to the range.

I unloaded six rounds from the magazine tube. I racked to get the live round out of the chamber. It only racked downward and the lever got stuck. I was able to get the round out of the chamber, but the round in the loading gate is stuck and slightly tilted upward in there and won't come out. What should I do?

I tried removing the takedown screw and its on ridiculously tight. As you can see, I have the Northwood takedown screw. Im able to turn it with a quarter, but it won't come out. It is jammed along with the lever.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Retlawman on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Live round stuck in the loading gate!

Post by Retlawman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Another pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Live round stuck in the loading gate, got it out!

Post by Retlawman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Well, I finally was able to get the takedown screw out. I had to use plyers taped with electrical tape to pry it out. The round then came right out. I'm going to make sure I'm more careful next time. Thanks
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am

By chance did you rack the lever with the magazine tube out ? If you did maybe that caused the malfunction with no tension on the round to properly feed it. Never had that happen but was just thinking.
2 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:47 am

jstanfield103 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am
By chance did you rack the lever with the magazine tube out ? If you did maybe that caused the malfunction with no tension on the round to properly feed it. Never had that happen but was just thinking.
That was my thought also.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 am

jstanfield103 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am

You know what, I think I did. I won't ever do that again. Thanks!!
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:55 am

I am unsure of the cause of your jam, but before forcing out the lever screw with pliers, I would have tried using a nylon or hardwood dowel and a hammer to drive the round back into the tube. It would wreck the case but it shouldn’t harm the steel tube or receiver. I had jamming issues (failure to feed the second round) on my BBX .44 Mag and it was due to a badly machined lever, which was interfering with the lifter mechanism; the gun had to go back to Henry.

I think you need to be perfectly sure it was user error and not a gun fault, especially if you are keeping it loaded for a home defense gun! Get some snap caps (dummies) and cycle them through the gun a bunch of times, ten times or more, while holding the gun at different angles, to see if it is truly OK. It should feed nicely “ snick snick snick” with no hangups or drag on the lever. Nor should it require “breaking in” to feel that way. You can expect an occasional hesitation as a live round chambers, such as the lip of a flat point bullet catching, don’t confuse that with a binding lever or lifter. Lehigh Extreme Penetrator bullets do that, while XTPs glide into place.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 am

Thanks John. Yes, I used my snap caps to cycle 14 rounds. No issues!
1 x