Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Does anyone load a round directly into the chamber/ejection port?

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Does anyone load a round directly into the chamber/ejection port?

Post by Retlawman » Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Hi,

I have read that some do this with their lever actions. I did this with my Henry BB Side leading Carbine and one round a couple of days ago at the range. I didn't feel comfortable doing it or really saw any advantage other than you can cycle with having only one movement. Anyone else?
Thx
Last edited by Retlawman on Thu May 26, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Does anyone load a round directly into the chamber/ejection port?

Post by JEBar » Thu May 26, 2022 5:11 pm

I often load a single round through the ejection port with sighting in my rifle .... never had a problem doing so
5 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Yup me to especially if you have some rounds you are testing. Never had an issue
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Thu May 26, 2022 6:46 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:11 pm
I often load a single round through the ejection port with sighting in my rifle .... never had a problem doing so
Ah, that makes sense if I want to try out some $$$ defensive loads. One at a time x 3 manufacturers. Three rounds is good enough for now. 😆 Some premium.357 jhp is almost $2/rd.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 26, 2022 7:15 pm

My only suggestion would be to open the bolt, drop the single round down into the carrier/lifter then close the bolt. This allows the round to ride up into the bolt properly and engage the extractor. I would suggest you not load the round directly into the chamber then close the bolt. This causes the extractor to ride over the case rim to engage.

I was told by two well respected gunsmiths not to load single rounds into the chamber of my semi auto handguns for this reason, it can weaken the extractor. Rounds stripped from the magazine slide up behind the extractor rather than forcing it to bend out and ride over the rim of the chambered case. Not sure about the extractor on the Henry.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 26, 2022 7:46 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:15 pm
My only suggestion would be to open the bolt, drop the single round down into the carrier/lifter then close the bolt. This allows the round to ride up into the bolt properly and engage the extractor. I would suggest you not load the round directly into the chamber then close the bolt. This causes the extractor to ride over the case rim to engage.

I was told by two well respected gunsmiths not to load single rounds into the chamber of my semi auto handguns for this reason, it can weaken the extractor. Rounds stripped from the magazine slide up behind the extractor rather than forcing it to bend out and ride over the rim of the chambered case. Not sure about the extractor on the Henry.
I just load them in the mag tube in the order they will be fired in, and make a note of it in my little black book, which I'll record the results in after each one is fired.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 26, 2022 8:28 pm

Better solution.
0 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Thu May 26, 2022 9:48 pm

If it has a side gate why not just load it there? I’ve loaded that way trying different rounds but remembered it is best to let rounds feed properly.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Would love to be able to single load a round into the chamber with the mag partially loaded.
My 327 and 357 I usually carry the rifle with the tube 3/4 loaded with my full power hunting loads and some reduced loads for small game or trap dispatches in a pocket. The 357 is easy being a marlin I can just put 1 or 2 in through the side gate as needed. With no side gate on the 327 that isnt an option. I havent found a way to short stroke it and not have a round on the lifter need to empty the mag and either drop a reduced load in the mag or onto the lifter.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 26, 2022 11:16 pm

220 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 pm
Would love to be able to single load a round into the chamber with the mag partially loaded.
My 327 and 357 I usually carry the rifle with the tube 3/4 loaded with my full power hunting loads and some reduced loads for small game or trap dispatches in a pocket. The 357 is easy being a marlin I can just put 1 or 2 in through the side gate as needed. With no side gate on the 327 that isnt an option. I havent found a way to short stroke it and not have a round on the lifter need to empty the mag and either drop a reduced load in the mag or onto the lifter.
Open the lever, the spent case (Or loaded round) will eject, and a round will pop from the tubular mag into the carrier.
Turn the rifle on it's side to dump the round in the carrier into your hand.
Pocket that, and turn the rifle upright.
Drop your chosen alternate into the carrier and close the action. Viola!
You have your alternate in the chamber and still a tube of the original loads.
* If you ejected a loaded round, pick 'er up. ;)
1 x