Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damn range bench scratched my new Henry!

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Damn range bench scratched my new Henry!

Post by Retlawman » Tue May 24, 2022 1:23 pm

Hey,

Well it just one thing after another. I never shot a rifle before at this indoor range. The table appeared to have felt on top, so I don't know how this happened. It could have been from empty casings and not paying attention. Damn!

So, my next order down the line will be for a new stock. I feel 😪! Next trip to any range. I'm bringing a towel. Too bad I didn't have my sling in yet. I wouldn't have put it down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Damn range bench scratched my new Henry!

Post by GFK » Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 pm

I would try some wax first. Never know, you may not mind the results. There is even some stuff that claims to remove scratches from clear coats (Markron Gun Stock Scratch Eraser: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... tch-eraser). I have not used it yet. But, I do have a bottle.

P.S.
I have not used that vendor. So, I am not familiar with it. I just liked the writeup. I have used Midwest Gun Works though: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mg ... RATCHERASE
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm

Better get used to a little personalized character on the gun. I guarantee it won't be the last, and each little scratch or ding will bring back fond memories as you both age gracefully. ;)
4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue May 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Just gives it personality. Any gun which is used is bound to get a little wear. Too bad it happened this soon but the first scratch is over so you don't have to worry over it. Like GFK said, wax may make it more tolerable.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue May 24, 2022 3:01 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm
Better get used to a little personalized character on the gun. I guarantee it won't be the last, and each little scratch or ding will bring back fond memories as you both age gracefully. ;)
Oh, been there, done that. Sometimes with some very colorful words involved! :o
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:18 pm

Midsouth Shooters Supply is a good company. I have dealt with them for many years
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Tue May 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Thanks guys. Henry Tech said to try some satin polyurethane. It should help a bit and if not they will order me only the rear buttstock without the forgrip. Probably a little over $100. I may just get it and keep it as a spare if and when I sell her in 20 years. Lol

I finished cleaning her up after the range. Barrel was filthy after only 100 rounds. The bolt, extractor, mag tube, chamber not too bad. I cleaned up tge buttstock as best I could for now. Walnut touch up crayon, marker and wood conditioner. I watched Winchester 73 with James Stewart last night. That just made my OCD worse. 😆 🤣
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Sorry that happened. It's always hard to get over the first blemish on something new. Kinda like a scratch on a new car.
I think we have all been there, done that. The first small scratch on my BBS 357 was cause by my EDC on my hip...my fault.
It will bother you less a few days from now. Just think; it could have been much worse, like dropping the rifle on the floor...just sayn'.
4 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 pm

DANG!! On the first outing, man it sucks, but as the others have said it happens and could've been worse.
Looks like you've done a good job cleaning it up. But it's like anything else you use, it's going to get use marks. :roll: :x
A lot of us call 'em character marks, and for me, I'm going to take mine hunting also. :)
Sure it hurts your feelings, but in this case "you" learned not to trust the covering. ;) :evil:

Hey, otherwise it was fun, wasn't it? :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue May 24, 2022 8:52 pm

Frustrating when that happens but all in the life of a rifle....my 1860 has some scuffs on it from going in & out of the saddle scabbard but no effect on the target :)
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully