Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brand new Henry, I marred my lever screw.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Brand new Henry, I marred my lever screw.

Post by GunnyGene » Sat May 21, 2022 10:22 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:01 am
A couple other suggestions, if you already know maybe they will help someone else.

Work on a flat surface, with a non slip surface below the firearm. If nothing else, pick up a tool drawer mat and use that, but the gunsmith's mats aren't that expensive and you'll thank yourself in the long run. They keep the gun from slipping, keep screws and or parts from rolling away, and keep you from marring the off side of the gun when you are pressing down on it.

By working on the flat surface and not trying to remove the screws while holding the firearm in your lap, you have WAY more control. Since you have control, and are now using proper screwdrivers, GO SLOW. Apply Slow steady pressure so you aren't surprised when the screw releases. I restart screws by hand, or use a nylon screwdriver so it the screw jumps out or tips the screwdriver doesn't slip and scratch the finish.

Dillon has a handy non-marring tool for prying.. and nudging things in place. I use it a lot on the 1911s and to tuck things into the shotguns and rifles.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/10-8-pe ... 25920.html

I have built my tools up over the years, a few at a time, but they all are necessary. Brass punches are a must for knocking out pins. A small brass / nylon hammer for setting them. No rush, you can build it all up as you go.

The most important thing... Don't rush,
and if you don't know, ask questions, watch videos... but don't guess, and don't force things, either taking them apart or putting them back.
A bench block is also something I'd recommend, especially for catching small parts like pins that you have to drive out. Brownells, etc. sells all kinds, or make your own out of a piece of 2x4 which is what I do.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 21, 2022 12:25 pm

A bench block is a great suggestion. Thank you Gunny. I have three from brownells that I use often. Going thru the brownells catalog can leave me drooling. I always find something else I would like to have. A set of brass range rods made it into my range box. Very handy for all kinds of things.

One thing I left off my list was a good cleaning kit.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Sat May 21, 2022 1:08 pm

Great, thanks for the suggestions. I just received my Wheeler set. I threw in some extra sockets. It's so much better than the Craftsman I used. Perfect bit and thinner blade!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:22 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
A couple other suggestions, if you already know maybe they will help someone else.

Work on a flat surface, with a non slip surface below the firearm. If nothing else, pick up a tool drawer mat and use that, but the gunsmith's mats aren't that expensive and you'll thank yourself in the long run. They keep the gun from slipping, keep screws and or parts from rolling away, and keep you from marring the off side of the gun when you are pressing down on it.

By working on the flat surface and not trying to remove the screws while holding the firearm in your lap, you have WAY more control. Since you have control, and are now using proper screwdrivers, GO SLOW. Apply Slow steady pressure so you aren't surprised when the screw releases. I restart screws by hand, or use a nylon screwdriver so it the screw jumps out or tips the screwdriver doesn't slip and scratch the finish.

Dillon has a handy non-marring tool for prying.. and nudging things in place. I use it a lot on the 1911s and to tuck things into the shotguns and rifles.

I have built my tools up over the years, a few at a time, but they all are necessary. Brass punches are a must for knocking out pins. A small brass / nylon hammer for setting them. No rush, you can build it all up as you go.

and if you don't know, ask questions, watch videos... but don't guess, and don't force things, either taking them apart or putting them back.
A bench block is also something I'd recommend, especially for catching small parts like pins that you have to drive out. Brownells, etc. sells all kinds, or make your own out of a piece of 2x4 which is what I do.
I agree. A workbench would be nice. Maybe, one day. Until then, I have been using a mat across my lap. Less than idea. But, it has been working. Yes, there has been some slips. Over the years, the marks seem to fade away. The way I figure, anything that is used will show some wear and tear. So, I just be as careful as I can and keep my firearms clean. Since 1991, I have not had a firearm to fail on me yet. Of course, there is always room for improvement. Therefore, a workshop is on my want list. Yet, it is below a home shooting range. I can make do without a workshop. However, it is work to make do without a range.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 21, 2022 6:55 pm

You don't have to have a work bench. I have used a kitchen or dining room table, island, countertop, tv tray, or various desks. Before I had a smith's mat I used a heavy (old) towel to keep things protected. I had to get old(er) before I built up my collection, and I did build it up slowly.
1 x

Retlawman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Retlawman » Sat May 21, 2022 7:28 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:22 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

Thanks, I have a Wheeler bench block I bought for my 1911. It works well. Ive been planning to get the 10-8 tool, especially for removing the extractor on my 9mm Wilson CQB. Thx for the suggestions.
Last edited by Retlawman on Sat May 21, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 21, 2022 7:30 pm

I agree, range is more important. :D
0 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Sat May 21, 2022 9:38 pm

I Have a good American made set from Chapman mfg. in Durham, CT. I have their kit #9600, everything I need for my Uberti and henry. A good quality set designed and made in this country.
1 x
I love my country but I fear my government

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:04 pm

Here is a link for the lever thumb screw. I am not affiliated in anyway. I have purchased several though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124540265338
1 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:37 am

I would order one (even at $18) but site says they won't fit Brass Big Boys. I just looked at mine and it looks the same as the photo in Retlawman's first post. I will email Henry's and and ask what the difference is.
0 x