Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My first one,

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: My first one,

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 pm

well, today is a frustration. I ordered a tri lug mount for the big boy x. I put the mount on, swapped over my form 1 to a sico mount, and stuck it on.

As you can see it's a nice mount, that will allow you to clear the tube for loading or unloading.

With form 1 sico cap on
Looking down the arse end of the can.
Sorry for the crap photo.

The problem: When I put my suppressor check rod down the can and to the barrel, I noticed that the can wobbled. I checked, and sure enough, the can wobbles. I checked the can to make sure it was mounted properly and checked the front and rear end caps. yep, can is tight together. I thought well crap, so I pulled the rear cap off, and sure enough, the Sico mount wobbles on a 45 cal trilug. Usually, they don't fit. I have had excellent luck with this company over the years, but this is going to be a problem as you cannot have your can wobble.

So, I put the threaded end back on and checked it again, thinking this may be part of the accuracy issues; maybe it isn't only the trilug mount but loose threads by henry. (happens more often in the suppressor world than you think) Nope, can is nice and tight. and keeps center when I put the bor rod down the barrel.

So I took my form 4 dead air ghost m can and the 9mm /40 tri lug mount of theirs, and it fit. It is still loose on the mount thought. I have two other 45 acp tri lug mounts. One from hk, and one from bnt. the dead air mount does not fit either. I put the dead air can on the rifle and dropped the bores check rod and fudge; it still wobbles enough to hit baffles.

The DA ghost m is quite a bit shorter than my form 1, and it has a slightly larger gap between the bullet and the baffle. The rod touches two of the baffles with slight pressure.

Well, crapstix again. I put the threaded mount on the dead air and drop the bore's clearance rod, and push. nope, it keeps center and has no issues with touching baffles.

So tomorrow I get to call and talk to the company, hopefully they will take this one back as it is unusable with either of my mounts.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:50 pm

congrats on your X .... looking forward to your coming range reports and use impressions .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add it to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p194309
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:14 am

So i have been using 6.1 and 6.3 grains of win 244 for my 250 lrnfp. In the rifle i am seeing 225 ish fps increase over the book, not unexpected, but frustrating. As i am trying to keep thing subsonic.

Another group recomended that i pick up a little faster powder and give that a go. I found some bullseye locally and picked it up.

Ive loaded a number of rounds and am hoping i can keep my 250 rnfp loads to about 950 to 975 fps.

Why? Because i plann on shooting suppressed 90% of the time.

Anyone have some tips on how to load ftx bullets? I have 200 and 250 grain versions i want to try out..
Last edited by DsGrouse on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:39 am

I like that scope, I have one on my BBS 41.
Hey do ne a favor when you get time.
Measure the the opening in the tube where you load the ammo.
There's a guy saying he can't load ammo longer than 1.65" through his tube, but can through the gate. :roll:
Not that I believe him, but just curious as I measured both a BBB, & a BBS and got the same length of 1.685"
Thanks.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am

I responded to his post yesterday, but decided not to get in a pissing match and deleted it. He needs only tip the front of the round or the rim of the round in the tube first and let it fall a bit before dropping the rest in.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:11 am

DsGrouse wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am
I responded to his post yesterday, but decided not to get in a pissing match and deleted it. He needs only tip the front of the round or the rim of the round in the tube first and let it fall a bit before dropping the rest in.
Understand, but I just couldn't leave it unsaid.
Then some newbe come by and get all confused. ;)
Thanks for getting back to me though.👍

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:40 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:11 am
DsGrouse wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am
Understand, but I just couldn't leave it unsaid.
Then some newbe come by and get all confused. ;)
Thanks for getting back to me though.👍

RP
Randy, just measured the tube opening on my Henry .45 Colt; 1.685" Loaded round with 250gr rnfp is 1.587". Slips right on in.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:48 pm

well, my sico tri lug mount arrived today. It fits my form 1 can's sico tri lug end cap perfectly. There is almost no movement outside of what you have on a screw-on can.

I checked it with my clearance rod and it seems to be good to go. I also loaded all my hornaday 200 and 250 grain ftx bullets, 6.0 grains of bullseye. I'll see how they shoot. I have 4lbs of long shot on the way. If bullseye doesn't get me where I need to be velocity wise, 950-975 fps, then I can give longshot a try.

sorry about the flash.

Today was a pretty good day. I started the outline of chapter 8 of my fifth book, made it to the gun store to pick up a case trimmer, and when I got home found a publishing agreement for a short story I wrote.

It is a good day.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Good day indeed. Congrats!
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 pm

So, I got the speed of my reloads down to where I wanted them to be. somewhere between 950 to 975 fps. Some were slower, some faster, but I think I have some room to work with. Images may take a while to populate on my hosting site.

I ran 300 rounds through the rifle. While my velocity is in the range I am looking for ammo-wise, accuracy is hit or miss.

I'm not that great with rifles, but I am better than 3 in a 3-inch group and the other 7 all over the board. 12 to 14 inches at 75 yds.

I fired a number with my can, without my can, without tri lug mount on it. They are all over the place. Crimp, and powder, and seating depth were all 3 separate steps. I did this to keep each as accurate as I could. Nevertheless, my accuracy sucked.

I did clean the can, though, and here are its guts after 14 hours in the tumbler.

0 x