Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How hot is normal?

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

How hot is normal?

Post by Luv the lever » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:53 pm

When range shooting, 3 to 5 at a time, how hot should the 30-30 get? And, is it normal to get hot.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: How hot is normal?

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:46 am

Three shots spaced out 30-60 seconds between firing will probably show very little heat. 5 shots will show more heat unless longer spacing between shots. Neither 3 or five rounds unless rapidly fired should get hot enough to hurt anything but maybe make a change in POI on the target if the barrel is touching the wood. The hot rod varmint calibers are heat builders along with the larger case capacity of the magnum centerfires. Damage can be done if getting very hot with little time allowed for cool down. Most damage will start with erosion at the throat just ahead of the chamber. I toasted several varmint caliber barrels in prairie dog towns by getting them way to hot with constant firing. Having more than one rifle to change off to when they got hot really added barrel life to my rifles when prairie dog shooting.
3 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:12 am

Not too hot, not too cold, but just right. :D

https://americanliterature.com/children ... hree-bears
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:47 am

based on firing our hundred + year old Winchester Model 94 .... load her with a full 5 rounds of hunting level ammo in the tube magazine and 1 round in the chamber ... fire them as quickly as possible and the barrel will get hot enough to make it uncomfortable touching .... taking your time and firing them at a much slower pace the barrel will get warm .... it was designed as a hunting rifle which seldom calls for rapidly firing more than a couple of rounds
1 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm

When it’s out people want to shoot it. I watched a YouTube review and the guy burned himself. I bang up pistols and sporting rifles but never feel them get as hot as the 30-30 does. Just trying to find out if it’s normal and if not what can it be? It’s most likely me shooting it to much.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:28 pm

Luv the lever wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm
It’s most likely me shooting it to much.
I tend to doubt that its shooting it too much ... much more likely to be shooting strings too rapidly
1 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:28 pm
Luv the lever wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm
It’s most likely me shooting it to much.
I tend to doubt that its shooting it too much ... much more likely to be shooting strings too rapidly

Thanks, that is most likely the issue. New to levers and still learning.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:50 am

I tend to shoot three rounds and then wait about five minutes before shooting a second three. I'll wait until the next cease fire (they're about 30 min apart) to go through the same process.
Jake
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:28 pm

It helps too to bring along a few more rifles and rotate thru them which allows cool down time. I went to the range earlier this week with two rifles that needed to be sighted in at 50 yards. Shot the centerfire first to get on paper, put it aside and then shot the rimfire. It took me some time to get it on paper and then sighted in as I wanted. Then I moved the target stand out to 100 yards and zeroed the centerfire. Even tho I probably shot the centerfire over a dozen times in the first go around by the time I was done with the rimfire the centerfire rifle was cooled down nicely.
1 x