Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry BBS .44 mag. rear sight malfunction

Hickok
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry BBS .44 mag. rear sight malfunction

Post by Hickok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 am

Rifle is Henry BB Steel side-gate in .44 magnum. Shoots great, but noticed one minor problem.

The slide/step adjuster on the rear sight will "jump" its notches due to recoil of the .44 cartridge. The first two notches will not stay put when shooting. The problem seems to be that the teeth/notches of the slide adjustment are not tall enough to engage and hold the elevation of the sight.

Shoot a couple of shots and the sight is back down to the bottom. I realize this is a Marbles sight, but it sure isn't of the high quality of this Henry rifle.
If the steps/notches were simply taller on the slide, the sights elevation would stay in zero.

I realize that I can put the slide up on the 3rd or 4th notch, and then adjust with the small diamond sight window in the center of the sight, but this doesn't change the fact that Marbles needs to make these sights to proper specs.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a scope on the rifle now, but rear sight is pretty much an ornament.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry BBS .44 mag. rear sight malfunction

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:58 am

interesting .... first time I've heard of this issue with a Henry ... I'd suggest you call their customer service .... I have no doubt they will take care of it and may well send you a replacement slide/step adjuster
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:50 pm

I would remove the sight altogether, and replace it with a blank . . .
1 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:12 pm

Hickok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 am
Rifle is Henry BB Steel side-gate in .44 magnum. Shoots great, but noticed one minor problem.

The slide/step adjuster on the rear sight will "jump" its notches due to recoil of the .44 cartridge. The first two notches will not stay put when shooting. The problem seems to be that the teeth/notches of the slide adjustment are not tall enough to engage and hold the elevation of the sight.

Shoot a couple of shots and the sight is back down to the bottom. I realize this is a Marbles sight, but it sure isn't of the high quality of this Henry rifle.
If the steps/notches were simply taller on the slide, the sights elevation would stay in zero.

I realize that I can put the slide up on the 3rd or 4th notch, and then adjust with the small diamond sight window in the center of the sight, but this doesn't change the fact that Marbles needs to make these sights to proper specs.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a scope on the rifle now, but rear sight is pretty much an ornament.
Hey Hickok, guessing you were having issues grouping as well? I had my brand new 44 all weather out last Sunday for the first time and couldn't get a reliable group to save my life. Hoping I can blame those blasted buckhorns and have purchased a base/ring assembly and Vortex 3-9. Did things improve when you mounted the scope?
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:35 am

If it was me, and of course it's not. I would have Henry send me a new latter. While waiting for it I would just take a small needle file and cut the notches deeper then cold blue the file cuts. You may decide that you like the cut notches better than the replacement.

Henry will take care of you, and no this is not the first time someone has complained about this on heavy recoil. Cutting the notches took care of theirs from my reading.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:01 pm

I'm having the same issue with my .357
0 x