Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trigger Job

mikefritz
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Trigger Job

Post by mikefritz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:50 am

Metonto, I'm late to the party but I do recommend you try triggershims.com. I did a range report there about the shims and springs Lance sells and am very happy with the improvement to my Henry 30-30 trigger. He's very helpful if you have questions.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 pm

Mike I am wondering how much of a reduction on the trigger pull you had by changing the springs and using shims. Witch spring did you use?
0 x

mikefritz
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mikefritz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:00 pm

leverjc, I replaced the factory hammer spring on my 30-30 with the Wolff 33101 "straight body" spring (that's the one they make for the Marlin 39A,94,95 models). I also installed shims on the hammer, trigger, and lever pins. I don't think the shims reduced the pull much but they did further smooth out the already nice Henry action.

The combination dropped the pull from 5.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs: I had one light primer strike on my reloads at that weight so added a brass #6 washer to each end of the spring to take up the slack, increasing the pull back up to about 3 3/4 lbs. No problems since with any ammo.

I also tried the Wolff 32501 "barrel body" spring which gave me a 4.5 lb pull (also with the shims installed).

Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but--disclaimer--I am not a gunsmith and can't recommend altering anyone's rifle from the factory setup...
3 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks Mike. I was wondering because when I went with lighter springs with my Marlins the trigger pulls were right at a half pound lighter.
0 x

Metonto
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Metonto » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pm

mikefritz wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:00 pm
leverjc, I replaced the factory hammer spring on my 30-30 with the Wolff 33101 "straight body" spring (that's the one they make for the Marlin 39A,94,95 models). I also installed shims on the hammer, trigger, and lever pins. I don't think the shims reduced the pull much but they did further smooth out the already nice Henry action.

The combination dropped the pull from 5.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs: I had one light primer strike on my reloads at that weight so added a brass #6 washer to each end of the spring to take up the slack, increasing the pull back up to about 3 3/4 lbs. No problems since with any ammo.

I also tried the Wolff 32501 "barrel body" spring which gave me a 4.5 lb pull (also with the shims installed).

Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but--disclaimer--I am not a gunsmith and can't recommend altering anyone's rifle from the factory setup...
Mike the info you gave is quite helpful. I am going to order up the shim kit and spring. Did your Henry have any creep in the trigger and did this install help?
0 x

Metonto
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Metonto » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:52 pm

I ordered the Marlin springs from Triggershims ( great service) . Installed the smaller spring with (1) #6 washer and now my Henry has the trigger that I have been wanting! Thanks
3 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:31 pm

I've tried the shims and liked them. Also installed a lighter mainspring (#33101) from triggershims. Dropped the trigger from 3 pounds to 2 pounds.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:40 am

RPP sear and return spring are arriving today.
Will install and shim trigger tonight in an effort to reduce creep. Have already shimmed lever and installed 33101 hammer spring.
Trigger is currently 2.0 pounds with moderate creep. No light strikes.
Will report back tomorrow.
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:05 am

My H006M started out sloppy loose, rough, with a 3 pound trigger and a lot of creep.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a triggershims kit, a 33101 hammerspring, and dosed it with boron nitride dry lubricant. Snugged it up, smoothed it, reduced the pull to 2 pounds average, and maybe helped a bit with the creep. Not bad.

Tonight I installed the RPP sear and reduced return spring. Brought the trigger to an average 1.25 pounds and eliminated the creep. This is just a plinking rifle, but that's too light. I'm gonna bump the pull back up towards 2 pounds and call it a day. All in all, I'm quite pleased with both kits.
1 x

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SWFan27 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:23 am

Everyone has their own preferences, but the trigger on my 357 BB Classic is like butter. I can't imagine doing anything to change it. I hope it works out for you.
0 x