Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shorter vs Longer

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Shorter vs Longer

Post by Conax » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 am

Factory .357 loads are designed for revolvers. The short barrel will be more than long enough for good .357 performance.
I had a 24" Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited in .357. With cast bullets it would always get severely lead fouled. With factory loads it wouldn't put up any decent groups with cast or jacketed. Nobody could shoot it well. Everyone (including me) blamed themselves. The book said it had "deep cut Ballard riflings" which might have been the problem. It was back about year 2000 manufacture.
It was so inaccurate I sold it to a guy that just collects and doesn't really shoot. Since then I've gravitated to shorter barrels and had decent luck with them.
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Conax wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 am
Factory .357 loads are designed for revolvers. The short barrel will be more than long enough for good .357 performance.
I had a 24" Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited in .357. With cast bullets it would always get severely lead fouled. With factory loads it wouldn't put up any decent groups with cast or jacketed. Nobody could shoot it well. Everyone The (including me) blamed themselves. The book said it had "deep cut Ballard riflings" which might have been the problem. It was back about year 2000 manufacture.
It was so inaccurate I sold it to a guy that just collects and doesn't really shoot. Since then I've gravitated to shorter barrels and had decent luck with them.
The Ballard rifling is usually a big PLUS with lead-casted bullets. I would try gas-checked bullets next time, and maybe resize them down to 9mm (.355/.356). Of course, you might try "Paper Patch", soft lead loaded up to jacketed loads ( My Choice!) . . .
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm

I have shot both Henry's long and short. Liked the shorty better as I could shoot better groups and longer on the range. Same ammo. Plus it just feels cooler in my hands.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:28 am

I bought the Carbine, because it handled better in the truck and utv around the farm. Very accurate with the 357 loads. 😁😁
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 am

Bake wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:14 pm
Conax wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 am
I had a 24" Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited in .357. With cast bullets it would always get severely lead fouled. With factory loads it wouldn't put up any decent groups with cast or jacketed. Nobody could shoot it well. Everyone The (including me) blamed themselves. The book said it had "deep cut Ballard riflings" which might have been the problem. It was back about year 2000 manufacture.
The Ballard rifling is usually a big PLUS with lead-casted bullets. I would try gas-checked bullets next time, and maybe resize them down to 9mm (.355/.356). Of course, you might try "Paper Patch", soft lead loaded up to jacketed loads ( My Choice!) . . .
I tried decreasing the loads to speeds that weren't supposed to lead the bore, and they didn't, but the groups were still very wide.
The bull was the only safe spot. It wouldn't shoot any factory ammo I tried, and I tried quite a bit.
Marlin let a few lemons get out of the shop, that's all I could figure. The rifle was so beautiful I kept it longer than I normally would have. I wanted it to work.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am

Bake, for a target shooter at the ranges you listed, I would go .357 in 16.5”. There really isn’t much difference in accuracy in those barrel lengths for pistol calibers. Shooting from the chair might make the carbine easier to handle. It sucks that there aren’t many around, but they are definitely worth the wait!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF