Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

357 Steel Carbine lever catching

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

357 Steel Carbine lever catching

Post by deano5150 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:44 pm

I have a Big Boy Steel Carbine in 357mag and occasionally the lever will catch on something inside the receiver.
It usually only does that if the rifle is canted sideways. I don't notice it much when it's level. Has anyone else
had this issue? I could call Henry but I really don't want to be without my rifle for an extended period. I don't have
that issue with my Big Boy Brass 357.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: 357 Steel Carbine lever catching

Post by Cofisher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:16 pm

When tipped some, I have found the case does not eject properly. It could be jamming your action. Watch as you operate the lever. Good luck.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:16 pm
When tipped some, I have found the case does not eject properly. It could be jamming your action. Watch as you operate the lever. Good luck.
This seems to be happening when the rifle is unloaded and I'm just working the lever. But this brings up a good point. I need to take
it to the range and just cycle some ammo through it without firing and see if it happens then. It may only be happening when I'm dry
cycling the lever.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm

When I bought Remington made 336 several years ago I picked the one that the action would work no matter what direction I held the gun. Several others would jamb. Could be something that just needs polishing. If you take it down you should be able to see where it is wearing or small gouge marks. If you want to send it back to Henry their return time is not long and if you ask they might expedite.
1 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:13 am

leverjc wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm
When I bought Remington made 336 several years ago I picked the one that the action would work no matter what direction I held the gun. Several others would jamb. Could be something that just needs polishing. If you take it down you should be able to see where it is wearing or small gouge marks. If you want to send it back to Henry their return time is not long and if you ask they might expedite.
I'll take it apart and see if I can see any wear marks. I had to send this rifle back to Henry a couple of years ago to
replace a broken locking block. That could have something to do with it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am

looking forward to hearing what you learn
2 x