Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy X question

cambridge00
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Big Boy X question

Post by cambridge00 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Hello all,

Just got my first Henry, a Big Boy X .357. Very pleased with how it shoots, but I have two questions.

1. I measure the trigger at 6 lbs., which is heavier than I expected. Is this typical?

2. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the fiber optic sights for elevation and windage? They are definitely off, and I didn't find any instructions out there.

Thanks!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Big Boy X question

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:03 pm

You will need to drift the rear sight in whatever direction you need to go for windage and there should be an elevation screw in it to raise or low the point of aim. Im speaking of the rear sight. Congrats on the new 357 and welcome to the forum.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 am

If you're shots are hitting low. Raise the rear sight up. Bullets high, lower it. If your bullets are left, slide the rear sight right. If your bullets are right, slide the rear sight left. NEVER move the front sight unless it's off center. Make sure your'e steady and resting on a bench and fire three rounds at a time and average them out till you get consistent middle hits.

This'll help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Pxp4dfoTk
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 am

Where did you get your X? They are impossible to find.
D
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:51 am

My .44 BBX has the worst trigger I have ever experienced in any firearm. 7 pounds with TWO very gritty stages followed by a heavy break. I had to send it back because it would not feed ammo at all, and they did nothing to correct the trigger. I have not (yet) bothered to do it myself because this is a “bear at the door” camp defense gun. Maybe this winter I will tackle that project. But as I get older I get a lot less willing to modify factory guns, because it can make the resale value tumble.

I quite like much of the rifle but OTH I might get rid of it if the new Marlin/ Ruger 1894 turns out to be good, and if it is available in a stainless/ grey laminate/ scout rail variation (like the discontinued CSBL). At an affordable price…. I had an 1895 STP 16” in that combination and I greatly regret selling it, even though I got three times what I paid.

John Davies
Spokane WA
2 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:14 am

ooh those STP's are a thing of beauty. Next rifle is the Marlin Dark or Henry X 45-70 - tough choice.
1 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:51 am
My .44 BBX has the worst trigger I have ever experienced in any firearm. 7 pounds with TWO very gritty stages followed by a heavy break. I had to send it back because it would not feed ammo at all, and they did nothing to correct the trigger. I have not (yet) bothered to do it myself because this is a “bear at the door” camp defense gun. Maybe this winter I will tackle that project. But as I get older I get a lot less willing to modify factory guns, because it can make the resale value tumble.

I quite like much of the rifle but OTH I might get rid of it if the new Marlin/ Ruger 1894 turns out to be good, and if it is available in a stainless/ grey laminate/ scout rail variation (like the discontinued CSBL). At an affordable price…. I had an 1895 STP 16” in that combination and I greatly regret selling it, even though I got three times what I paid.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Doing BB trigger improvement can be a full days job or more. The way the seer hooks in takes a very small width stone when it come to polishing the seer and setting up a jig is a lot of trial and error. If your rifle has an overly stiff trigger return spring it might have to have a half of turn clipped. My BBS had a trigger very much like the one you described but I wanted to use it for Lever Silhouette and needed a better trigger so I tackled what turned out to be a 12 hour job. I am not sure what you would have to do to yours to improve it but I do not think polishing the factory parts would be considered a modification.
3 x

cambridge00
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cambridge00 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Thanks.

What is a typical factory trigger weight for a BBX?

To answer the question about where I got it, I found it at a store called Belding and Mull in Phillipsburg, PA. Price was $820 or so. Random find.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:26 am

cambridge00 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:33 pm
Thanks.

What is a typical factory trigger weight for a BBX?

To answer the question about where I got it, I found it at a store called Belding and Mull in Phillipsburg, PA. Price was $820 or so. Random find.
Interesting. Way back in the day I used to use (and sell at my job) a Belding and Mull powder measure. Must be a connection so I’m going to check it out. Congrats on finding an X model, one in 30-30 is high on my want list.

Edit: Wow, it looks like B&M is now a large retail store. 5000 square feet!

This is the powder measure I mentioned.

https://revivaler.com/the-belding-and-m ... r-measure/
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Cambridge, I imagine that the BBX has the same trigger set up as any BB. The seer and hammer are both unmachined mim parts so I believe the trigger pull weight would be luck of the draw depending on how the 2 parts warped during the mold process fit together. It would be interesting to from different owners what theirs are. Mine was a very creepy 7.5lbs.
0 x